Nice to feel normal

harrietvane

onight I went out to dinner with friends (street food...satay, yum!) and got to sit in the nice warm Singapore air and enjoy some satay sticks - lamb, beef, chicken and prawn.

I didn't have to worry about taking a bite that won't go down (thanks, lapband) and having to know exactly how to get to the bathroom in time. I didn't have to worry about chew chew chewing for an interminably long time to try to avoid the inevitable 'stuck' moment.

I didn't eat much - I had one satay stick of each, and the prawn only to show my friend's visitor how to get the shell off - but it was really nice to feel 'normal' in a public dining situation.

(Someone else's picture of Lau Pa Sat - they close off a CBD street (that's the stock exchange building foyer towards the centre right of the image) and turn it into a satay street every night.)

lau-pa-sat-satay-heaven.jpg

Looks like fun too! That's what I waited for, to feel normal again. It's a great feeling.

I think people tend to grieve over all the foods they will NEVER eat again. And sooner or later, most realize they didn't give up anything but they gained the freedom of being a normal sized person!

Love the picture. I always imagine you living such an exotic life!

I really don't...other than the perpetual 85F weather!

I've been here two years now. Singapore isn't as overwhelming as China, Indonesia or the Philippines. I call it Asia Lite or Starter Asia. Different enough to be interesting, but not so different you get homesick.

I didn't have to worry about taking a bite that won't go down (thanks, lapband) and having to know exactly how to get to the bathroom in time. I didn't have to worry about chew chew chewing for an interminably long time to try to avoid the inevitable 'stuck' moment.

Oh how I miss getting stuff stuck all the time... NOT!
I agree - it's wonderful not having to worry about that kind of stuff. :)

I miss being able to eat the filler food that goes with so much of a restaurant's menu, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, etc. without blowing up like the Hindenburg. I would rather be normal sized and able to get around though!

Singapore looks very exciting!

Latest posts

Back