Newbie here!

sharonallen88

To live the best me!
Hello all, I've been approved for the DS surgery on 7/23/19! So excited but scared! I'm ready for a change in my life and to finally get a handle of my weight!
I'd love to hear from other DSers, what has your experience been? What csn i expect weightloss just after the surgery. Has any one gained weight afterwards?

Thank you for any encouragement snd or advice!

Hi and welcome sharonallen88! I had a virgin, full DS in 2012 and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'm happy with the results and while not skinny, that is by choice - I eat carbs to keep some padding. At my low I got thinner than looked good on me and I'm also a cancer survivor and lost half my pancreas so my doctors want me to keep to have some extra weight in case they have to remove more of my pancreas in the future. I went from a size US 30 to a size 6-8 (low at around 18 months after DS) and regained to a 12-14 where I have some curves to fill my skin and I look my best. It's where I plan to stay. All the best!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome sharonallen88! I had a virgin, full DS in 2012 and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'm happy with the results and while not skinny, that is by choice - I eat carbs to keep some padding. At my low I got thinner than looked good on me and I'm also a cancer survivor and lost half my pancrease so my doctors want me to keep to have some extra weight in case they have to remove more of my pancreas in the future. I went from a size US 30 to a size 6-8 (low at around 18 months after DS) and regained to a 12-14 where I have some curves to fill my skin and I look my best. It's where I plan to stay. All the best!
Wow, thank you for the information! I feel inspired after reading your response and pray that you wont need to have further cancer surgeries.
I wish you all the best!

I hit my lowest at 2 years out and bounced back about 10 pounds, Still 20 pounds under my Wish Goal (never going to happen goal). No side effect really, I'm just more mindful of what I eat and how it effects my body. Other than some loose skin I regret nothing! Only regret that I wasn't ready sooner but then I might have just had the VSG not the DS.

Congratulations! I had surgery back in 2003. I can gain weight, I did not get a great DS. But the DS works and there is no better surgery to get. Do a lot of reading here. There is a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Back