New to SADI

@Ridgerunner,

While many bariatric post-ops are passionate about their own procedure, whatever it may be, the main reason you aren't finding a lot of SADI/SIPS patients who respond here (and elsewhere) is because it is a relatively new procedure and so there just aren't nearly as many people who have had the SADI/SIPS as who have had other types of surgeries. Also, there is a wariness of SADI/SIPS, not only because it is experimental and so long term results are not known, as mentioned by other posters, there have been a number of cases in which doctors have performed SADI/SIPS on patients who were expecting the DS.

I think its great that you are informed and know the uncertainty, but still want to be a pioneer for SADI/SIPS. Down the road in the long term, your statistics will help inform future patients' decisions.

I do hope you will decide to stay and contribute you personal experience here, as there will be other SADI/SIPS patients that follow and you will need to build a community and come up with answers for how to deal with post op life, particularly diet and nutrition as that is still largely unknown and will involve trial and error.

I've found the support of knowledgeable veterans critical in maintaining my health and expect you will want the same.

I understand it is probably frustrating to want to go down a certain path and have people respond with their recommendations to avoid that path, but I assure you, in knowing those people for years now, that they are well-educated in the topic at hand and have your best interests at heart. It would be less kind for them to be silent when they are concerned than for them to step up and deliver an unwanted message.

In any case, I wish you all the best!!!
Thank you, I wish you all the best as well. And it is not the message, I have no problem with disagreement or debate, it is the close-minded, repetitive monologues that are devoid of any chance for give and take and are pointless wastes of time.

We need your voice as well as others. Yes, this forum was created BY DS'ers but it is for ALL surgery types.
I have noticed that not a single SADI/SIPS patient has responded to my request for input. I have my own ideas about why that is. I would like to hear why you think this is so?

I have noticed that not a single SADI/SIPS patient has responded to my request for input. I have my own ideas about why that is. I would like to hear why you think this is so?
Because most of them feel out of place here...same with the other surgeries that aren't the DS. WHICH IS NOT the intention of this site. But I also believe everyone has a right to their opinion even if others don't like it.

WHY this site started was that a vast majority of other forums out there were giving inaccurate or even false info about the DS but this was never suppose to be about JUST the DS. One of the biggest offenders of misleading info also allows surgeons to control the information on their profiles, even the reviews made by patients.

Even now, the DS is the "red headed stepchild" of most forums out there.

Because most of them feel out of place here...same with the other surgeries that aren't the DS. WHICH IS NOT the intention of this site. But I also believe everyone has a right to their opinion even if others don't like it.

WHY this site started was that a vast majority of other forums out there were giving inaccurate or even false info about the DS but this was never suppose to be about JUST the DS. One of the biggest offenders of misleading info also allows surgeons to control the information on their profiles, even the reviews made by patients.

Even now, the DS is the "red headed stepchild" of most forums out there.
Well then I am glad that you and others now have a place where you can go. I truely am. I too am trying to find a place where I can go and not feel like I have to defend my intellect, my mettle or my personal choices everytime I want to ask a question. I need to find somewhere that I can give and receive help without a lecture. I need to find a place where I am not the "red headed step child".

Hi @Ridgerunner, wondering if you are getting responses elsewhere and just not on this site? Or is it relatively quiet across the board, as it were?

I can't emphasize enough how critical it is to have a knowledgeable network / community to turn to as a post-op.

Hope you find a way to connect with other patients and stick around to contribute to the dedicated SADI/SIPS/Loop DS board here, which I suspect will become more active over time! http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/sadi-loopds-lds-sips.57/

In the meantime, now is a great time to check your vitamin levels and get as fit as possible in advance of surgery so that recovery is a breeze.

I have seen a few SADI's on the another website in the DS forum. You might want to check there.

Also, while I understand you might be put off by the strident tone of some posters here, I can't emphasize enough the benefit of not inhaling anything personally. No one here really knows you. So it really isn't about you.

I've had a few remarks made at me, which I didn't like, but, whatever. And, if I did my job correctly, I'm positive I've offended many people with some of my posts.

This resource is so valuable because there is precious little out there for us, but ourselves. Traditional DS or SADI are relatively uncommon procedures. Most surgeons do the cutting and then you're on your own. I know I am. The people (especially the vets) on this board can give you the real-life experience and knowledge no one else can. And they come from a place of life or death. And no one is trying to make a buck. So, please do yourself a favor and overlook disagreeable personalities.

Just ask yourself, "How would Mr. Spock react?"

Edited to remove the name of a competitor forum which doesn't allow us to be mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
And as a person who trusted his surgeon and thought he knew what he was doing, I wish I had it to do over again because my original DS surgeon really caused me completely avoidable problemss by the way he did my ds. He caused me big time malnutrition that has really fucked up my lifeml.

We may come across as gruff or iluncaring at times but we don't want to see anyone disppointed with the outcome of their procedure.

Like Liz and others have said there are just very few people here who have had the SADI.

Best wishes to you.

@Ridgerunner you can also ignore the posters who get under your skin the most. The ignore feature isn't perfect but it may help you. The best advice is to remember that what is said isn't personal even if it sounds like it. We are answering questions for anyone who reads. There may be someone who is lurking who needs to see what is said on both sides of this to help them with their choice. Almost every board here can be read by guests without registering. And right now there isn't much out there in the way of information on the SADI et al.

I need to find somewhere that I can give and receive help without a lecture. I need to find a place where I am not the "red headed step child".
And the biggest issue is that for a few years, at least, with the surgery as unknown as it is...you will be the red headed step child wherever you go.

Surgeons need to do two things: STOP pretending it is a DS and DECIDE on ONE name for it. Until they do that, everyone will stay confused.

And the biggest issue is that for a few years, at least, with the surgery as unknown as it is...you will be the red headed step child wherever you go.

Surgeons need to do two things: STOP pretending it is a DS and DECIDE on ONE name for it. Until they do that, everyone will stay confused.
But what about these FB pages you spoke about? Would I also be one there?

The FB pages are good but for solid info, you need more. They will help you find others who have had the same surgery. If you friend me: https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.t.ramsey letting me know you are from here, I'll add you to the one I am a member of...the admin will still have to approve it.

They are doing the SADI because it is easier for THEM, less surgery to perform, less risk of surgical complications they would have to fix and they fraudulently bill for a DS and get paid for the skilled surgery while performing the minor surgery. It's about money. NOT about the patient. They will tell you what you want to hear and it is rarely true. They became bariatric surgeons primarily for the money...not because of a deep empathy for the obese community. I am painting that with a broad brush because yes, there are some surgeons...mostly renowned DS surgeons...that truly DO care about the obese. That is exactly why they continue doing a much harder, complicated surgery because it is BETTER for their patients. Common sense would say if the SADI/ SIPS/ LOOP was "just as good" they would have jumped on that bandwagon! Why would they spend hours more time in the operating room for the same pay as the SADI if it was not a better outcome for their patients? Just stop and think about that. Dr K, Dr Ayoola etc choose to work harder and longer because it is better for their patients.

They are doing the SADI because it is easier for THEM, less surgery to perform, less risk of surgical complications they would have to fix and they fraudulently bill for a DS and get paid for the skilled surgery while performing the minor surgery. It's about money. NOT about the patient. They will tell you what you want to hear and it is rarely true. They became bariatric surgeons primarily for the money...not because of a deep empathy for the obese community. I am painting that with a broad brush because yes, there are some surgeons...mostly renowned DS surgeons...that truly DO care about the obese. That is exactly why they continue doing a much harder, complicated surgery because it is BETTER for their patients. Common sense would say if the SADI/ SIPS/ LOOP was "just as good" they would have jumped on that bandwagon! Why would they spend hours more time in the operating room for the same pay as the SADI if it was not a better outcome for their patients? Just stop and think about that. Dr K, Dr Ayoola etc choose to work harder and longer because it is better for their patients.

Ridgerunner, just want to let you know you're not alone. I will be having revision in 4 days and have 99 percent decided on SADI over the full DS. I have talked with multiple surgeons and not one tried to mislead me. Dr.Gagner, Dr. Smith and Dr Pernaute were all very clear about the difference between the DS and the SADI. Dr. Smith who will be doing my surgery made it very clear that he prefers the classic DS, and that the SADI is still experimental. I chose the SADI because I know it will likely not be as effective as the DS in allowing liberal fat consumption and may not be as effective in total weight loss but it also has less severe bowel issues and likely require less supplementation. The DS is certainly the more effective procedure with proven results as each of these surgeons agreed, but it also comes with some drastic side effects that some of us would rather avoid if possible. Whether that is a good trade off and we get what we're hoping for only time will tell, but we are making fully informed decisions based upon the information out there. From what I have seen all of the skilled DS surgeons are very clear about the differences. If you look at Gagner's website, he very clearly illustrates the differences. If anything, they push for the DS and do not necessarily illustrate how challenging the bowel issues and adequate supplementation can be for some patients.

Ridgerunner, just want to let you know you're not alone. I will be having revision in 4 days and have 99 percent decided on SADI over the full DS. I have talked with multiple surgeons and not one tried to mislead me. Dr.Gagner, Dr. Smith and Dr Pernaute were all very clear about the difference between the DS and the SADI. Dr. Smith who will be doing my surgery made it very clear that he prefers the classic DS, and that the SADI is still experimental. I chose the SADI because I know it will likely not be as effective as the DS in allowing liberal fat consumption and may not be as effective in total weight loss but it also has less severe bowel issues and likely require less supplementation. The DS is certainly the more effective procedure with proven results as each of these surgeons agreed, but it also comes with some drastic side effects that some of us would rather avoid if possible. Whether that is a good trade off and we get what we're hoping for only time will tell, but we are making fully informed decisions based upon the information out there. From what I have seen all of the skilled DS surgeons are very clear about the differences. If you look at Gagner's website, he very clearly illustrates the differences. If anything, they push for the DS and do not necessarily illustrate how challenging the bowel issues and adequate supplementation can be for some patients.
You need to understand that most DS patients don't have these horrible side effects like constant diarrhea and if they do it is usually because of a less than perfect job by the suegeon. You also need to know that bile reflux is a very real possibility from the SADI. No surgery is without risk and it is your decision but please don't make your decisions for the reasons you stated because those are rare side effects & not common.

Best of luck to you with whatever path you choose.

Latest posts

Back