New to SADI

Ridgerunner

Hi everyone,
This is a question for those who have had the SADI/SIPS.
I recently learned that the surgeon I most likely will be using does the SADI-S surgery and I have a consult with him to discuss this surgery in early August.
Is there anything specific to this particular surgery that you asked your surgeon or wish that you had?

How about "why would you try and convince me to have an unproven, experimental surgery over a real DS with years of evidence?" And then ask him how many REAL DSs he's done (which is likely zero, since I don't recognize his name).

Not a fan of SADI, in case you can't tell.

I concur with Diana and would search out another qualified DS surgeon and choose the best possible surgery over expediency. Much more important to get this right than it is to get it done quickly.

How about "why would you try and convince me to have an unproven, experimental surgery over a real DS with years of evidence?" And then ask him how many REAL DSs he's done (which is likely zero, since I don't recognize his name).

Not a fan of SADI, in case you can't tell.
I asked for others that had the SADI-S to respond. Please be respectful of my request.

I concur with Diana and would search out another qualified DS surgeon and choose the best possible surgery over expediency. Much more important to get this right than it is to get it done quickly.
I have been doing research since March which I believe is a prudent amount of time to spend and could in no way be misconstrued as rushing into this. I asked for opinions of others who have actually had the SADI-S. Please be respectful of my request.

@Ridgerunner, I hope others who have had this surgery see this post. Understand that most on this board are very passionate about the DS.

Yes, the SADI doesn't have the track record of the DS, that takes time and it takes individuals willing to go forth with a fairly new procedure. There is always uncertainty when a new way is offered. Will it work? What will be the long term advantages/disadvantages? That takes individuals willing to be "guinea pigs" and willing to share their results. At first glance, for MOST, the SADI seems to be doing very well. BUT we don't yet have the long term data. How will it pan out 5 years, 10 years, 15 years from now.

I will say that I sincerely hope it replaces the RNY completely. No one needs a pouch at all.

What I vehemently disagree with are the surgeons who PRETEND it is a DS and con their patients into believing that. I am all for someone who makes a choice based on their own research. AS long as they know ALL the viable options available. But for the love of pete, don't go to a surgeon who PRETENDS it's the DS when it isn't. Being self pay, you have more leeway and a fraudulent coding of it on insurance will not come back to bite you in the ass.

Just do your research...as you seem to be doing. There are also a few SADI et al groups on FB. That may be of help too. I am in one of them to help when I can.

One thing we tell people is for vitamins, START with the same Vitalady list that the DS'ers use and just as DS'er are suppose to do, tweak to your personal needs and lab values as you get post op blood work.

When you post on a public forum, you may not get answers you like. If the answer isn't helpful to you, feel free to ignore it - but please remember that it may be helpful to the next person who comes along who is dealing with a bait-and-don't-switch SADIst surgeon and doesn't realize it. My answer may save someone from misery and regret, even if it is (for whatever reason) of no interest to you.

But you don't get to dictate how people answer your questions - because our answers are NOT only for you.

@Ridgerunner, I hope others who have had this surgery see this post. Understand that most on this board are very passionate about the DS.

Yes, the SADI doesn't have the track record of the DS, that takes time and it takes individuals willing to go forth with a fairly new procedure. There is always uncertainty when a new way is offered. Will it work? What will be the long term advantages/disadvantages? That takes individuals willing to be "guinea pigs" and willing to share their results. At first glance, for MOST, the SADI seems to be doing very well. BUT we don't yet have the long term data. How will it pan out 5 years, 10 years, 15 years from now.

I will say that I sincerely hope it replaces the RNY completely. No one needs a pouch at all.

What I vehemently disagree with are the surgeons who PRETEND it is a DS and con their patients into believing that. I am all for someone who makes a choice based on their own research. AS long as they know ALL the viable options available. But for the love of pete, don't go to a surgeon who PRETENDS it's the DS when it isn't. Being self pay, you have more leeway and a fraudulent coding of it on insurance will not come back to bite you in the ass.

Just do your research...as you seem to be doing. There are also a few SADI et al groups on FB. That may be of help too. I am in one of them to help when I can.

One thing we tell people is for vitamins, START with the same Vitalady list that the DS'ers use and just as DS'er are suppose to do, tweak to your personal needs and lab values as you get post op blood work.
I appreciate your supportive and caring response. I will absolutely be diligent about suppliments and everything else. I plan to use vitalady. I have learned that there is a lot the doctors just don't know and I will be my own advocate.
It is clear that I will not be able to have any kind of a real discussion on this forum due to certain overly passionate crusaders who hijack posts with their own agenda. I see now why there are so many DSers here and not much else. I will try the FB pages mentioned. I hope to see you there Southernlady. Thanks again for everything.

When you post on a public forum, you may not get answers you like. If the answer isn't helpful to you, feel free to ignore it - but please remember that it may be helpful to the next person who comes along who is dealing with a bait-and-don't-switch SADIst surgeon and doesn't realize it. My answer may save someone from misery and regret, even if it is (for whatever reason) of no interest to you.

But you don't get to dictate how people answer your questions - because our answers are NOT only for you.
I am sad for you.

Hi everyone,
This is a question for those who have had the SADI/SIPS.
I recently learned that the surgeon I most likely will be using does the SADI-S surgery and I have a consult with him to discuss this surgery in early August.
Is there anything specific to this particular surgery that you asked your surgeon or wish that you had?
Oh honey...it's not anger over the surgery itself! It's anger toward the surgeons that LIE to their patients telling them it is "just like the DS" or that it is BETTER than the DS, that your weight loss and maintenance of weight loss will be just the same when they have nothing to back that up! They do the SIPS/SADI because it is easier for them and they get paid as if they did the more complicated DS surgery and they LIE to the insurance company to get paid for an experimental surgery. THAT is what pisses us off. Dr's should tell their patients that they are their guinea pigs, the surgery is still in the trial phase and we have NO long term data to say whether it works or not. Now. If your sugeon had said that to you...would you have chosen to let them do the SIPS on you or would you have gone up the street to a DS surgeon and gotten the real DS like I did? Lucky for me I had been reading on bariatricfacts.org and knew the difference. When he said SIPS... I said no thank you and left.

@Ridgerunner,

While many bariatric post-ops are passionate about their own procedure, whatever it may be, the main reason you aren't finding a lot of SADI/SIPS patients who respond here (and elsewhere) is because it is a relatively new procedure and so there just aren't nearly as many people who have had the SADI/SIPS as who have had other types of surgeries. Also, there is a wariness of SADI/SIPS, not only because it is experimental and so long term results are not known, as mentioned by other posters, there have been a number of cases in which doctors have performed SADI/SIPS on patients who were expecting the DS.

I think its great that you are informed and know the uncertainty, but still want to be a pioneer for SADI/SIPS. Down the road in the long term, your statistics will help inform future patients' decisions.

I do hope you will decide to stay and contribute you personal experience here, as there will be other SADI/SIPS patients that follow and you will need to build a community and come up with answers for how to deal with post op life, particularly diet and nutrition as that is still largely unknown and will involve trial and error.

I've found the support of knowledgeable veterans critical in maintaining my health and expect you will want the same.

I understand it is probably frustrating to want to go down a certain path and have people respond with their recommendations to avoid that path, but I assure you, in knowing those people for years now, that they are well-educated in the topic at hand and have your best interests at heart. It would be less kind for them to be silent when they are concerned than for them to step up and deliver an unwanted message.

In any case, I wish you all the best!!!

I am sad for you.
Oh puh-leeze. Being thin-skinned is incompatible with being a self-advocate anyway. Good luck with (1) not being willing to hear what you don't want to hear, (2) believing doctors who are proposing experimental surgery on you without being willing to question their motives; and (3) not being able to comprehend and process valuable information when presented as a gift.

If you ask for opinions about whether to jump out of an airplane without a parachute head first or feet first, I'm afraid I'm not going to answer the question you asked.

http://elucidation.free.fr/parachuteBMJ.pdf
"Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials "

"Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute."

t is clear that I will not be able to have any kind of a real discussion on this forum due to certain overly passionate crusaders who hijack posts with their own agenda. I see now why there are so many DSers here and not much else.
We need your voice as well as others. Yes, this forum was created BY DS'ers but it is for ALL surgery types.

Oh honey...it's not anger over the surgery itself! It's anger toward the surgeons that LIE to their patients telling them it is "just like the DS" or that it is BETTER than the DS, that your weight loss and maintenance of weight loss will be just the same when they have nothing to back that up! They do the SIPS/SADI because it is easier for them and they get paid as if they did the more complicated DS surgery and they LIE to the insurance company to get paid for an experimental surgery. THAT is what pisses us off. Dr's should tell their patients that they are their guinea pigs, the surgery is still in the trial phase and we have NO long term data to say whether it works or not. Now. If your sugeon had said that to you...would you have chosen to let them do the SIPS on you or would you have gone up the street to a DS surgeon and gotten the real DS like I did? Lucky for me I had been reading on bariatricfacts.org and knew the difference. When he said SIPS... I said no thank you and left.
I appreciate what you are saying but... I already know that this is a new procedure that does not come with iron clad results, and I have been researching all procedures and have acquired quite alot of knowledge along the way, and I am not going to a surgeon that is claiming it is anything other than what it is, and I am not having my surgery paid by an insurance company, and there is no surgeon anywhere near me that does the traditional ds and it is not practical for me to travel a great distance to have my surgery and if I could, I am not so sure that I would choose it for myself anyway. These are all MY choices that I make for ME in MY life and I am only asking for others to respect my decision whether they agree or not.

Oh puh-leeze. Being thin-skinned is incompatible with being a self-advocate anyway. Good luck with (1) not being willing to hear what you don't want to hear, (2) believing doctors who are proposing experimental surgery on you without being willing to question their motives; and (3) not being able to comprehend and process valuable information when presented as a gift.

If you ask for opinions about whether to jump out of an airplane without a parachute head first or feet first, I'm afraid I'm not going to answer the question you asked.

http://elucidation.free.fr/parachuteBMJ.pdf
"Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials "

"Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute."
I do believe you just made my point for me.

Latest posts

Back