New Possibilities to Ponder

I think I read that It ends up in the intestine and it can turn into a bit of a nightmare. I looked into it enough to realise it's not effective even in the short term.

I see you're already switched, are you dealing with regain?

I'd think a re-sleeve would be the best way to go for us. Single incision would be nice but I suspect that's only for virgins.

I think you'd be lucky to lose 20lbs with the balloon. Check out a balloon forums. I can't recommend any in particular as I didn't stay on them long.

BTW who was your surgeon?

Last edited:
I think I read that It ends up in the intestine and it can turn into a bit of a nightmare. I looked into it enough to realise it's not effective even in the short term.

I see you're already switched, are you dealing with regain?

I'd think a re-sleeve would be the best way to go for us. Single incision would be nice but I suspect that's only for virgins.
Buchwald. And I never made it to goal. I keep on trying though!

Hmm... Buchwald is vetted. How long is your common channel?
Supposed to be 75.... He wanted 100 and I wanted 50 so we played let's make a deal and compromised on 75. But who knows how long it really was or if the damn thing has grown. I never had any deficiencies or problems at all. Textbook recovery except for the hernia. And you probably can't count the hernia either because I got it coughing 6 years postop.

Most likely I am a superabsorber. I went into the DS more than 100lbs down from my high weight thanks to a 2 year starvation diet. I lost 53 lbs postop and stopped losing completely after three months or so. At 6 months I was very worried and I managed to drop a few more lbs by going to under 10 carbs per day and running 30 miles a week. I got my first diet when I was 6 weeks old. I was gaining too fast and the doc told my mom to replace one breastfeeding with a bottle of water. I knew the meaning of the word obese when I was two. Literally, my whole life has been a diet. My mom was an RN and very smart about nutrition. We had no junk in the house at all and snacks were things like carrots and celery. My whole family was fat.

As long as I could run 30 miles a week, I was golden. I could eat pretty much like a normal DSer and not gain. Then life happened, I moved to Las Vegas where the only jobs I could find were low pay and involved standing/walking for 8 plus hours a day. My feet hurt all the time and I physically could not run any more. Between plantar fasciitis and an old ankle injury, nothing helped. I tried every kind of shoes out there and inserts as well. I haven't given up and my next experiment is going to be ankle sleeves. I also hate it that I can't wear heels since the McJobs. So my ability to exercise has become very limited. And on the days I don't work I have to let my feet recover so I find myself limiting my activity.

So once again I find myself gaining weight and dieting. And I hate it! I hate to think where I would be today if I hadn't had the DS though. I want my feet back!

damn, sorry to hear about the bad jobs. can I ask what kind of shoes and supports you are wearing on your feet at work?

damn, sorry to hear about the bad jobs. can I ask what kind of shoes and supports you are wearing on your feet at work?
I tend to alternate. I have Reebok High Tops, New Balance, Sketchers Shape Ups, Nike Free, Crocs, and even MBT's($300). I wear compression socks and I have several kinds of those too. Usually knee high made for ankle support and plantar faciitis. Now I move constantly and it's actually better than my last job where I stood still all the time. I wore a pedometer and I put in about 16 miles on a busy day. 10 miles on an average shift. I work 3 or 4 days a week usually. I have gel heel inserts and they don't really seem to do much of anything. Mostly I walk for my whole shift but I do move boxes, some heavy, and climb ladders in a warehouse daily.

If my ankle hurts the most, I might wear the High Tops. If the plantar faciitis is the worst maybe the MBT's or Nike's. I am forever trading off one pain for another. And OMG heels I used to wear effortlessly are too painful now! I used to run 30 miles a week pretty effortlessly but no way could I do that now. I am always looking for exercise I can do without my feet!

I did just get a bike and I hope I can get into riding it. I live in a very urban location and will have to get used to riding in traffic.

Could you seek a second opinion from another surgeon. I read about someone who got re-DSed as she was in a similar situation to you and she's doing very well at the moment (i think her surgery was towards the end of last year).

BTW @ginger is who got revised IIRC and she's on this site :smile:
Kind of a moot point for me because I can no longer afford to self pay and I have no insurance. AHHH yes, life in the USA! I was hoping one of these alternative might be inexpensive! Or at least a much cheaper alternative!

Kind of a moot point for me because I can no longer afford to self pay and I have no insurance. AHHH yes, life in the USA! I was hoping one of these alternative might be inexpensive! Or at least a much cheaper alternative!
Have you considered Mexico for a revision?

:085: even in Mexico a revision would be pretty costly...

Latest posts

Back