New Osteoporosis drug

Yes, but...and my relentless resistance to ostroporosis drugs has created an endocrinologist who occasionally calls, suggests this drug or Forteo, insults my intelligence and yells at me...read the small print. For instance:

Contraindications: EVENITY™ is contraindicated in patients with hypocalcemia. Pre-existing hypocalcemia must be corrected prior to initiating therapy with EVENITY™
“Correcting” hypocalcemia to take an osteoporosis drug may prove problematic if one of the reasons I have osteoporosis and hypocalcemia is that I don’t absorb calcium...so correcting the problem may prove challenging or impossible.

And for Forteo?
Cautions: Urolithiasis

Oops! The endocrinologist (do you believe this woman?) thinks that since I form calcium oxalate stones, Forteo shouldn't be a problem because the stones formed from taking Forteo would be a different kind of stone. As in, “too bad that your hand was smashed by a hammer, but with THIS drug, if it’s smashed some more, it would be with a rock.” Yeah, that’s so much better.

~~~~~~~~

LUCKILY, the PA at my Spine doctor said, “Wait! You said you work hard to keep your PTH low enough to be in range? Forteo IS PTH, not what you need if you want within range PTH, right?” She’s a genius.

~~~~~~~~

Anyway...have y’all read about AlgeaCal? I have a (lifelong skinny ) friend who swears by it. It is essentially the COMB Protocol, expensive as hell (my skinny friend is another of my multi-millionaire friends), BUT it has a guarantee...read that small print, too. The major reason I haven’t ordered it is xylitol. The TASTY fish oil product contains xylitol, which sends me running to take a dump.

And the beat goes on...

You have friends who marry well…and a cousin who is a penny pincher and inherits well.

Last edited:
Drat! No one I know married money.
BTW, I looked up Forteo and yes, it's a synthetic form of PTH, BUT it supposedly works by BUILDING bone (unlike all the other drugs, which work by preventing bone breakdown). I don't understand this, but that's what the internet says (actually WedMD).

BTW, I looked up Forteo and yes, it's a synthetic form of PTH, BUT it supposedly works by BUILDING bone (unlike all the other drugs, which work by preventing bone breakdown). I don't understand this, but that's what the internet says (actually WedMD).

Yes, I read it and even CALLED and and asked:
-since Forteo is not calcium and it ACTS LIKE PTH, does it “find” that calcium the way PTH does, by borrowing it from teeth and bones?
-IOW: From whence cometh this new calcium that will grow my bones?

Their answer? “Ask your healthcare provider.”

The other part that scares me is that the small print, if I’m comprehending this, says that we can take these drugs for no more than two years, after which there is a sudden, measurable decrease in bone density. So...we’re back where we started and the only thing that REALLY improves is the balance sheet at Lilly (for Forteo) and AMGEN (for Evinity.)

For the record, AMGN is expected to exceed projected earnings.
And LLY is dropping as Trulicity didn’t perform as they hoped and they don’t know what political drug price debates might do.

Yes, I read it and even CALLED and and asked:
-since Forteo is not calcium and it ACTS LIKE PTH, does it “find” that calcium the way PTH does, by borrowing it from teeth and bones?
-IOW: From whence cometh this new calcium that will grow my bones?

Their answer? “Ask your healthcare provider.”

The other part that scares me is that the small print, if I’m comprehending this, says that we can take these drugs for no more than two years, after which there is a sudden, measurable decrease in bone density. So...we’re back where we started and the only thing that REALLY improves is the balance sheet at Lilly (for Forteo) and AMGEN (for Evinity.)

For the record, AMGN is expected to exceed projected earnings.
And LLY is dropping as Trulicity didn’t perform as they hoped and they don’t know what political drug price debates might do.
That two year limit is based on animal testing. I tend to look askance at studies conducted on animals because well, you know, they're not human animals. Mind you, I'm not rushing to volunteer for testing. I guess it's one problem of human evolution and medial advances that we don't all die at age 35, so there's so much "fun" in aging.

Yes...about 15 years ago, a girl from my 9th grade class (I left that school after one year) contacted me via Classmates, I think. An “I remember you, do you remember me” kind of thing. Shortly after, she invited me to lunch gathering about an hour’s drive away. Hoping to avoid an “opportunity” to make a fortune in a multi-level marketing scheme, I googled her name. She and her husband were regular supporters of the local philharmonic orchestra, they had several homes, including a home that was part of the annual Garden Tour that was conducted for charity and, oh yeah...had just contributed a million dollars to a local non-profit. She’ll call me when she returns from this cruise. Second European trek this year. Last year it was Antarctica. BTW, she has osteoporosis and was hoping the zodiac island landings wouldn’t break any bones...and loves her AlgaeCal.

Another one, a DS friend, is funny as hell. I got a panicky phone call one day because she wondered if she should return an expensive purse she had just bought. I asked her if it was her money, if she had used SOME money to help the less fortunate, if there was someone in her circle who would be “going without” because of her purchase. She answered yes, yes and no. So she kept her $3800 Gucci purse. First world problems.

Meanwhile, my cousin’s financial advisor told me, in front of her, that given her wealth management goals and spending habits, she would not live long enough to spend all her money.

We’re good people, Larra ...why don’t WE have these problems?

A question for the ages. I can't even explain how Forteo works, let alone answer such an existential question.

Yes........

We’re good people, Larra ...why don’t WE have these problems?

In case you had not noticed....

"The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. "

Latest posts

Back