New Life, New Hope - 4 Weeks Post-op

Parousia

19 March 2014: Well, I've reached the 4 week mark and things are slowly improving. The good and not so good are as follows:

Good
  • I have lost 12.6 kg/28 lbs to-date.
  • Pre-op I had begun having problems with chafing behind my knees. This had stopped totally by the time I got home from hospital (10 kg/22 lbs lighter).
  • My "current size" clothes fit more comfortably. Some are even a bit big.
  • Food is starting to taste normal again. I'm enjoying my morning cup of coffee again.
Not So Good
  • Weight loss has slowed, almost to a halt, since being able to eat some actual food.
  • I never liked the feeling of being too full, so I avoided it. But I no longer have any signals related to fullness until I've eaten too much, and then I experience pain and discomfort. I have no feeling of satisfaction after a meal either. Note: I've never been a big eater. I drank most of my calories in the form of milk, coffee and sometimes chocolate milk.
  • I still seem to be weaker than normal since the surgery. Showering is a chore, despite using a shower stool. Washing my hair is what takes it out of me the most - holding my arms up for a prolonged period while washing, conditioning and rinsing I think is what does it.
  • Struggling with bad breath/bad taste in my mouth when I wake up and for a while after. It's unlike anything I've experienced in the past. I can't stand it!
  • I'm craving savoury food with fairly intense flavour. Not spicy food, but salty. I've been wracking my brains for snack ideas with ingredients like anchovies that I can actually eat, but haven't come up with much.
Unexpected
  • Crunchy food can be easier to eat than some softer food. Eg. Sliced cheese doesn't go down so well, but when I melted some cheese slices in the microwave and let it crisp up, I could eat it more easily.
  • Toilet issues relating to urgency, haven't been as bad as expected.
I know there's more, but I can't think of what right now. I'll update this post if I do. On the face of it, the bad outweighs the good. But, it doesn't really. Things are improving daily, and if I keep losing weight, it will definitely all be worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Congrats on your success! I am three and a half weeks out. And I can sympathize with your "bads". It should keep getting better and better each week... (At least that's what I'm telling myself. LOL)
Again, congrats!

You are doing terrific. Just keep at it a day at a time. It's tough, those first few weeks, but well worth it. You will reach a turning point where everything is easier.

For the taste on your mouth - I found my mouth felt freshened with chunks of watermelon and sugar free Popsicles. And both help hydration

For savoury - I ate a little relish or pickle with my meat. It helped the texture and made the meal more flavourful. Also hot sauce and other condiments. Just keep your eye on the carbs. There are some low carb varieties too

Keep it up. You will be there in no time

can you get help with washing your hair? or go pay to have it done? might be worth it til you are feeling stronger.

love it that you are experimenting with things, like the crisped cheese. way to go!

But I no longer have any signals related to fullness until I've eaten too much, and then I experience pain and discomfort.

I am interested to see what other DSers say about this. I would say slow down (even more, you can't go too slow) - it might be there is a signal that is subtle. if there really is no signal now, there will hopefully be one at some point when you are further out.

congratulations on all your hard work so far!

can you get help with washing your hair? or go pay to have it done? might be worth it til you are feeling stronger.
I have been seriously thinking about having my hair washed at a hairdresser for now. I'm just not looking forward to having that conversation with hubby! He will definitely consider it a waste of money.

Then have HIM do it
I don't see that happening, lol. My husband has had to take on most of the responsibility for our household over the years because of my poor health. But the role of carer does not sit comfortably with him, and he does resent it, unfortunately. I'm very reluctant to ask him to do anything for me personally, and in any case, the chance of him agreeing is minuscule. He does know that the hair washing is a big problem for me.

Last edited:
I am doing better, thank you, although some days are better than others. I see you're a month ahead of me. How are you doing at this stage?

I am doing loads better! I still have a little burning in the belly but I am working with my PCP on that. I can eat almost anything. I don't eat more than 50 grams of carbs per day and I try to make sure those are "good" carbs but, meats are all pretty much okay. I have to be careful to eat slowly though especially with a dense meat like steak or it gets "stuck" and I get the foamies.

I don't see that happening, lol. My husband has had to take on most of the responsibility for our household over the years because of my poor health. But the role of carer does not sit comfortably with him, and he does resent it, unfortunately. I'm very reluctant to ask him to do anything for me, personally, and in any case, the chance of him agreeing is minuscule. He does know that the hair washing is a big problem for me.

I am sorry about that! Soon, you will be able to do just about everything you want to do. In the mean time, give him a pop to the head and let him know it's "in sickness and in health".

Take care!

Sounds as if you're doing as well as you can right now.

Q: how often are you weighing? I never knew if my weight loss was up or down as I only weighed at my surgeon's that first year. I'm not saying you have to go that far, but I saw the loss in the curve of my waist and fit of my clothing.

Congratulations! I am just so happy for you. I had multiple surgeries during my DS and was so very weak for a long time. It did pass, and the weight came off, and I feel fabulous Darling! (except when I don't and that's another non DS related story) I wish I was close enough to come help you wash your hair. Sending happy thoughts and best wishes!

Latest posts

Back