New DSer Questions- Sorry so long!

well, it might depend. I had a hiatal hernia repair with my VSG and it was nothing. why do you think that it will be bad?

but I'm sure I've given myself another hernia since then, dammit.
I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago and they did a large hiatal hernia repair and the DS. When I swallow even water or a small amount of food it feels like it slides down then doubles or triples in size before getting allowed entry into my stomach. I was just wondering if anyone else had HH surgery at the same time as their WLS and felt this way.

You are doing fine. Your first job is to heal and learn about your new system. If you like oat meal and mashed potatoes, have some. Honestly you are not eating enough to make a difference. AFTER you heal and you can eat, you put the hammer down and lose weight. Then the only good carb is the one you didn't eat. Protein, the general rule is 30gr at 30 days, 60 at 60, and so on. It is more important that you stay hydrated. Drink all the time.

Those stupid vitamins Take what you have already bought and don't buy anymore. You need higher dose. There is a lot of information here on what you should get.

Diarrhea. Treat it. Imodium is your friend. Take some. I probably had Imodium with me all the time for a year of so. Didn't use it very often but it was there just in case.

Don't know about the hernia because I have never had a hiatal hernia. But I can imagine it would be hard to eat for a while postop.

I had to work to get in clear liquids at first. it took an entire week to fit in 64 oz in a day, before that I would sip and sip all day and not get in enough.

I assumed it was like that for everybody but I guess it really varies.
It is more important that you stay hydrated. Drink all the time.
this is the thing

Okay. Another question. What is the most effective air freshener? I have tried Febreeze air effects, Lysol crisp linen, and Glade cashmere woods. None of them are really doing the trick to get rid of the smell. I have to go back to work in a few weeks. At work it is one bathroom with 5-6 of us being women so there will be no question who the one stinking up the bathroom is. Any suggestion??? HELP! Lol

So a couple updates and 1 question. I added Minute Maid zero sugar pink lemonade to my liquids. I just add a splash to my water for variety and it tastes great.
I sneezed several times in a row today and did not feel like I was going to pee a little. It was actually kind of weird because I am so used to clenching to keep it from happening. This is a major victory. I am only 53 and yes I have had 3 kids, but I'm too young to be having those issues in my opinion.
So for the question. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to satisfy a sweet tooth? I keep thinking about strawberry shortcake. Would it be okay to just eat a couple sliced strawberries in some whipped cream?

I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago and they did a large hiatal hernia repair and the DS. When I swallow even water or a small amount of food it feels like it slides down then doubles or triples in size before getting allowed entry into my stomach. I was just wondering if anyone else had HH surgery at the same time as their WLS and felt this way.

That feeling happened to me while I was in the hospital and you should mention it to your surgeon too.

Mine (while in the hospital) was a stricture and they treated it with steroids. I had another later and it was a much different treatment.

So a couple updates and 1 question. I added Minute Maid zero sugar pink lemonade to my liquids. I just add a splash to my water for variety and it tastes great.
I sneezed several times in a row today and did not feel like I was going to pee a little. It was actually kind of weird because I am so used to clenching to keep it from happening. This is a major victory. I am only 53 and yes I have had 3 kids, but I'm too young to be having those issues in my opinion.
So for the question. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to satisfy a sweet tooth? I keep thinking about strawberry shortcake. Would it be okay to just eat a couple sliced strawberries in some whipped cream?

My instructions did not allow any raw fruits for the first 30 days. I did enjoy sugar free popsicles and sugar free pudding and jello.

Also I know lots of women who feel like they have to pee when they sneeze or pee on themselves in all age groups and it’s usually because they’ve been pregnant. It’s a design flaw!! I have to brace my bladder and back when I have to sneeze!! But I am glad this has improved for you because peeing on yourself is not fun!!

I use Smarty Pants brand multiple vitamins. They are chewable and taste good and they use SUGAR, not “sweeteners.” Six gummies a day equal 50 calories, a tad over 3 teaspoons of sugar.

Also, sugar alcohols—avoid things ending in “-itol”—give LOTS of people diarrhea. I don’t use them, including the ones that are supposed to NOT do that, because they mess with me anyway.

Smarty Pants sugar statement:
https://www.smartypantsvitamins.com/search?q=Sugar&type=page

Ozium (find it at WalMart in the automotive dept or at auto stores).
Okay I have a funny story. I went to Wal-Mart Friday inn search of the magical odor destroyer Ozium. They did not have any, but I could see where it was supposed to be. Right next to it was some other generic car odor stuff in a small can so I grabbed that to use as a travel can until I can find the right stuff. We were going out to Longhorn Steakhouse with friends and I wanted to have something in case. I got home and before we went out to dinner I took it out of the box to put in my purse. I wanted to see what it smelled like so I pushed the button. Thank God I did this at home not while I was out because it was not a regular spray can it was a BOMB. Once started the whole can sprays out. My husband was outside in the driveway as I ran out of the house and tossed the thing in my car. Things are never boring around here and now my car has that "new car" smell. I will resume my quest for Ozium this week.

Can someone just reassure me I will eventually get to "normal". Tuesday will be 4 weeks. I can't seem to get in my 64oz of liquids. I'm not getting in enough protein. I go back to work tomorrow and am worried how I will do since now when I don't feel well I can just go lay down till I feel better. I can't imagine how people would go back to work in 2 weeks. I feel like I am behind the recovery curve, but I'm not sure. Overall I feel like I'm doing okay, but no where near normal. Feeling frustrated.

Can someone just reassure me I will eventually get to "normal". Tuesday will be 4 weeks. I can't seem to get in my 64oz of liquids. I'm not getting in enough protein. I go back to work tomorrow and am worried how I will do since now when I don't feel well I can just go lay down till I feel better. I can't imagine how people would go back to work in 2 weeks. I feel like I am behind the recovery curve, but I'm not sure. Overall I feel like I'm doing okay, but no where near normal. Feeling frustrated.
You’ll be fine. Just be easy on yourself and keep working on hydration.

Maybe talk to your boss about breaks or to HR.

Latest posts

Back