Need some motivation!

You've already gotten some great feedback, so forgive me for the parts of my post that repeat what others have said. I wanted to suggest doing something that you used to LOVE to do or trying something new and exciting. Something that you would look forward to every time & therefore no motivation required.

I took dance when I was younger & was on drill team in school. Dancing always made me feel happy & alive. I just recently got my DS, but the last time I lost 100 lbs (weight watchers), I was ready to start dancing again. I had heard of Zumba classes & always wanted to try them, but when I was 100 lbs heavier, I knew I wouldn't last 5 min. So my sister & I found a class & went. I was using muscles I hadn't used in years, breathing hard out of my mouth and pouring sweat...but I was smiling. I kept smiling the entire class - like a fool - and not the plastered smile a dancer is supposed to put on when they preform. It was a genuine smile of joy. I just couldn't stop smiling. I know it's sounds corny, but I'd found my happy place...again.

I would encourage you to find your happy place. Try different sports or activities that you loved as a child. If not, how about the excitement of trying something new. Try something you've always dreamed of doing or dare yourself to do something outside of your comfort zone. You could take lessons in horse back riding, skiing, diving, or tennis. Join a softball or soccer league. If you have any gaming consoles, there are all kinds of games: sports, exercise, dance, etc. that will turn your work-out into a fun game. There's all kinds of dance - how about lessons in ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, hula or zumba. How about something you could take home to the hubby, like belly dancing, pole dancing or burlesque. You could take your husband with you and learn ballroom dancing. How about figure skating or kicking a little a** in roller derby :) I could go on & on, but you get the idea. All of these activities would give you great muscle tone & definition. Find something that makes you happy & you won't have to find the motivation to drag yourself to it.

Another non-exerciser, I make every excuse in the book. Even though I do stay busy with my kids there isn't an excuse to find 15 minutes at least per day and do something. There's an elliptical (collecting dust) in my living room; weight bench outside, hand weights and DVDs inside. Haven't been committed and as I age I really need to add something, my muscle mass and strength have decreased tremendously.

Ideal: I exercise every day for 30 minutes. All my baggy skin after losing 21o pounds is going right back the way it looked when I was 20. My breasts are perky as ever!
Reality: I exercise once or twice a week. My butt hangs to my knees, my knees hang to my ankles and my belly rests happily on my lap. What breasts?

The great thing is that right now you have a choice. Each morning you get up, you can choose to exercise or not. There's time to figure it out, to find the right workout for you. You are on the right path and doesn't that feel amazing? Forget about will power, choose something you haven't done for a while or ever, and check it out. Maybe your local health club has a free day. You could drop by, do a class, try a machine, see if anything inspires you. YouTube is full of exercise gurus and their 10 minute wonder workouts. Do you love to shop? Walking from store to store in the mall for an hour is exercise. You got choices girl! Can you bike? Can you hike? Can you swim? Can you walk to a neighbors? You can choose something new everyday and just run with it...pun intended.

Thanks for all the awesome replies!! I'd love to get into something like Zumba or dance lessons or something. Problem is (excuse, but good one) that I live 53 miles from the nearest anything. My town is about 500 people and there is no gym or anything. I have turbofire and P90X tho that I just got. Also bought an exercise mat and some free weights. Lovely additions to my stair stepper, eliptical, and bow flex. Guess I'll just build my own gym ;)

Latest posts

Back