need mustard green advice

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I bought a huge bunch at the farmer's market knowing how healthy they are and assuming I could put a bit, raw, in my salads. ummm, the taste I can deal with but not the texture, it got all mushy or something. so, I need to cook it and have been advised use olive oil or butter, pinch of sugar to counteract any bitterness (really, it doesn't seem to have any, maybe it was young?) and salt of course. maybe garlic/onion.

what else do I need to know? I have never cooked any kind of greens because my experience with them is canned spinach which is so nasty I never wanted to cook them.

so advise my ass, here.

I bought a huge bunch at the farmer's market knowing how healthy they are and assuming I could put a bit, raw, in my salads. ummm, the taste I can deal with but not the texture, it got all mushy or something. so, I need to cook it and have been advised use olive oil or butter, pinch of sugar to counteract any bitterness (really, it doesn't seem to have any, maybe it was young?) and salt of course. maybe garlic/onion.

what else do I need to know? I have never cooked any kind of greens because my experience with them is canned spinach which is so nasty I never wanted to cook them.

so advise my ass, here.
Are mustard greens more tough like collard greens or tender like spinach? For spinach I sauté in olive oil with a shit ton of garlic and salt & pepper or adobo. When I've made collards, they need to be cooked, kinda brasied, in a pot for a long ass time and require bacon or a ham hock, I think I also used a little garlic, onion, sugar and apple cider vinegar.

tender, I guess, since I was able to eat a bit raw..

I will try the saute in oil thing. oil/salt/garlic? gotta be good, right?

that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I crave when it's winter and I feel a cold coming on.

I really love making broccoli rabe like that (except blanched first) but I can't find it in South Carolina! Gotta add it to my list of things to stock pile in NY this week ;)

Yup, that's how I'd cook them too, unless you want to do long cooking--think like ham and collards. If you do that, then I'd recommending blanching in a change or two of water, then going for broke with the long cooking. Otherwise they'll get so hot you'll decongest the entire neighborhood.

Nettles are nice when done this way, too. But you have to bring them to a boil in water a good three times, changing the water each time, to get rid of potentially irritating juices.

good lord, nettles?

I read everybody's suggestions and googled a bit and then boiled them in less water - steamed them, really - then sauted in oil with onions and garlic, ate them with butter and a ton of salt.

not bad. course, noodles would have been better but the greens will make me freakishly strong like Popeye so that will be a plus.

used too much oil, I think.

Latest posts

Back