My experience with Dr. David Kim

BeccaHertel

Hey guys! I just wanted to give my 100% honest experience of having my DS surgery with Dr. David Kim in Colleyville, TX. I want to make clear that I am not "pro-Dr Kim" nor am I "anti-Dr Kim". I just want to get my story out there for people researching surgeons in the DFW area.

My story starts back in February 2014. I had been living with an unsuccessful lap band for 4 years and thought the gastric bypass was my only option. I had never heard of the Duodenal Switch surgery. I made an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Kim because he is extremely well known in my area and I really was just needing to know if I was a candidate for a revision (financially). Upon entering the consultation, Dr Kim asked if I had heard of the DS and explained to me how it works and that it was the most extreme bariatric surgery, but if I was compliant with after care and with vitamins I would be successful. Needless to say, I was absolutely sold and started the process of being approved for my DS that week.
After many pre-op tests, my insurance company (UHC) approved me for a revision from lap band to DS (performed laparoscopically). My surgery was set for mid-April 2014. I spent the next 2 months immersed in the "DS world" by learning from the vets and soaking up as much post op advice as I could. Never was I informed by Dr. Kim that it was a possibility that he may not be able to perform my DS in one surgery. I was told on this support forum of his reputation, but with my surgery date being so close, I decided to brush it off. I am friends
with a couple who had their DS done with him a week prior and I thought "if they got their DS, then I will get mine".
Needless to say, I woke up from my surgery and heard the nurses talking about how I had only gotten a sleeve. I was absolutely devastated.
Everyone had been right. His official reasoning behind not performing my DS was that I have a "B-Belly" shaped stomach and he physically couldn't use the laparoscopic tools in my body to do the 2nd half of my DS. I just had too much mass in that area. I needed to lose 100 lbs. in 6 months and he could do the 2nd half.
I was devastated and embarrassed that I hadn't listened to this group, but I was determined to make the best of my situation. I followed the sleeve program and worked my butt off.
Fast forward to 5 months later and I lost the 100 lbs (woohoo!). I got a call in late August that my insurance company had approved for me to get the 2nd half of my DS and scheduled it for October 28th. Even though I was much smaller, I still had the B-Belly shape. It is just my body shape... I can't change that. I made sure to tell Dr. Kim (and anyone who would listen) that if I got in the operating room and he decided he still couldn't work with my body that I consented to have the operation done "open" rather than laparoscopically. I think he took offense to this because in the pre-op room (hooked up to an IV and family surrounding me) he told everyone
that he knew I really wanted the DS, but "he was the one that went to medical school and knew what was best for me". It was extremely awkward and my husband and parents were just staring at him like "did he just say that...?". I was getting cold feet quickly, but I swallowed my anxiety and went with the flow. I went into surgery and thankfully everything turned out great! I had very little pain and was out of the hospital in 2 days. I'm 3 weeks post op and haven't had a single complication and have lost an additional 22lbs.

So that's my story with Dr. Kim and his bariatric practice. I want to urge everyone to be their own advocate and don't be afraid to speak up when your gut is trying to tell you something is just off. It worked out well for me in the end, but sometimes I wonder how much anxiety and heartache I could have saved by just listening to my gut and the vets on this site.

THE GOOD: Great follow up care and support. There are monthly support group meetings and I've met some great people along the way. Dr. Kim is qualified to perform a DS. Insurance approval and communication was quick and easy. The hospital he goes through (Victory Hospital in Hurst) is fantastic.

THE BAD: Got my DS in 2 steps (never spoke to him that this may be a possibility). Awkward/rude bedside manner. He is just the "cutter". His bariatric institute (nutritionists, PAs, nurses, etc) handles most aftercare.​

I'm sorry that you were treated that way, but glad you are OK. I have never heard of "B-Belly" as a condition or excuse to not do the DS in one step - can you explain?

Next.... When you read this, keep in mind this is a mistake that should never be made. Not ever. I am not a doctor and I would have done better than this... Makes me wonder if the people performing the surgery were doctors. There is going to be a HUGE settlement on this one. And I want to know the names of the surgeons who did the OP.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...gs-following-gastric-sleeve-surgery/19196693/

I am SO sorry you had to go through all that...BUT....you are SO VERY fortunate that because of your perseverance, you finally got the DS! You're case of actually getting the DS later and approved by the insurance AFTER losing 100 lbs IS the exception to the rule, you are SO fortunate, I hope you understand that! So, happy for you after all that SHIT he did to you! I am from Texas and have THOROUGHLY researched every alleged DS surgeon in Texas and his reputation as a "Bait and No-Switcher" is the worst of all of them! BUT, as you said, (my translation), if you can get his lazy egotistical and condescending A$$ to actually do the DS surgery, (which is rare), he is a competent surgeon, including doing the DS, I will give him that. He just wants mass volumes of easy quick VSG $$$$$ because he is in it for the money...period! Also, my heartfelt congratulations on losing the 100 + lbs, that is great! and now the DS will help be your insurance policy to help from gaining it back!

Last edited:
"But a new lawsuit says before the operation, Saucedo learned that Dr. Kim wouldn't actually be the one performing the surgery; it alleges that the doctors who did operate made some mistakes that could have killed him."

So this unfortunate man presumably gave "informed" consent that someone other than Kim would be doing the procedure. Let this be a lesson to EVERYONE: even under the duress of being on the operating room table, after a month of (unnecessary, pointless, sadistic) pre-op liquid diet, if they try and pull a bait-and-switch (or -don't-switch) on you, GET UP, GET DRESSED AND GO HOME!!!

And I will add to Diana's cautions to put things in writing. For example, if you surgeon, whoever he/she may be, is making noises about doing gastric bypass as a backup plan if the DS is too difficult (for him!) for some reason (your size, your shape, the phase of the moon) PUT IT IN WRITING no your consent for "NO GASTRIC BYPASS".

That's just an example. Another would be if the surgeon says he might just do the sleeve because he would have to go open to do the DS, and open surgery is just fine with you, put it in writing. If it screws up his precious schedule to spend that extra time on you, that is not your problem.

That way, you won't get into a he said/she said situation. And even if your surgeon is saying this with the genuine good intentions, good communication will help with decision making. Yes, the surgeon went to medical school and you probably didn't, but you are still the one who will live with the consequences of these decisions.

Hey guys! I just wanted to give my 100% honest experience of having my DS surgery with Dr. David Kim in Colleyville, TX. I want to make clear that I am not "pro-Dr Kim" nor am I "anti-Dr Kim". I just want to get my story out there for people researching surgeons in the DFW area.

My story starts back in February 2014. I had been living with an unsuccessful lap band for 4 years and thought the gastric bypass was my only option. I had never heard of the Duodenal Switch surgery. I made an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Kim because he is extremely well known in my area and I really was just needing to know if I was a candidate for a revision (financially). Upon entering the consultation, Dr Kim asked if I had heard of the DS and explained to me how it works and that it was the most extreme bariatric surgery, but if I was compliant with after care and with vitamins I would be successful. Needless to say, I was absolutely sold and started the process of being approved for my DS that week.
After many pre-op tests, my insurance company (UHC) approved me for a revision from lap band to DS (performed laparoscopically). My surgery was set for mid-April 2014. I spent the next 2 months immersed in the "DS world" by learning from the vets and soaking up as much post op advice as I could. Never was I informed by Dr. Kim that it was a possibility that he may not be able to perform my DS in one surgery. I was told on this support forum of his reputation, but with my surgery date being so close, I decided to brush it off. I am friends
with a couple who had their DS done with him a week prior and I thought "if they got their DS, then I will get mine".
Needless to say, I woke up from my surgery and heard the nurses talking about how I had only gotten a sleeve. I was absolutely devastated.
Everyone had been right. His official reasoning behind not performing my DS was that I have a "B-Belly" shaped stomach and he physically couldn't use the laparoscopic tools in my body to do the 2nd half of my DS. I just had too much mass in that area. I needed to lose 100 lbs. in 6 months and he could do the 2nd half.
I was devastated and embarrassed that I hadn't listened to this group, but I was determined to make the best of my situation. I followed the sleeve program and worked my butt off.
Fast forward to 5 months later and I lost the 100 lbs (woohoo!). I got a call in late August that my insurance company had approved for me to get the 2nd half of my DS and scheduled it for October 28th. Even though I was much smaller, I still had the B-Belly shape. It is just my body shape... I can't change that. I made sure to tell Dr. Kim (and anyone who would listen) that if I got in the operating room and he decided he still couldn't work with my body that I consented to have the operation done "open" rather than laparoscopically. I think he took offense to this because in the pre-op room (hooked up to an IV and family surrounding me) he told everyone
that he knew I really wanted the DS, but "he was the one that went to medical school and knew what was best for me". It was extremely awkward and my husband and parents were just staring at him like "did he just say that...?". I was getting cold feet quickly, but I swallowed my anxiety and went with the flow. I went into surgery and thankfully everything turned out great! I had very little pain and was out of the hospital in 2 days. I'm 3 weeks post op and haven't had a single complication and have lost an additional 22lbs.

So that's my story with Dr. Kim and his bariatric practice. I want to urge everyone to be their own advocate and don't be afraid to speak up when your gut is trying to tell you something is just off. It worked out well for me in the end, but sometimes I wonder how much anxiety and heartache I could have saved by just listening to my gut and the vets on this site.

THE GOOD: Great follow up care and support. There are monthly support group meetings and I've met some great people along the way. Dr. Kim is qualified to perform a DS. Insurance approval and communication was quick and easy. The hospital he goes through (Victory Hospital in Hurst) is fantastic.

THE BAD: Got my DS in 2 steps (never spoke to him that this may be a possibility). Awkward/rude bedside manner. He is just the "cutter". His bariatric institute (nutritionists, PAs, nurses, etc) handles most aftercare.​

hello!

I just want to say that I had a wonderful expereince with Dr. Kim. I had my surgery in 2011 and i have lost a little over 100lbs. I have been able to keep it off. Dr Kim has been always been friendly to me and was wonderful before and after the surgery. I am so grateful that i was given the 2nd life by Dr Kim!

I wish you the best success in your weight loss journey! I am looking your your stats and you look like you are doing a great job! Keep it up!

Latest posts

Back