My DS Surgery Experience

castonesgirl1

Hello Everyone.
Just wanted to give an update on my experience so far.

I had my Revision to Ds on Monday October 1st with SoCal Kaiser Dr. Belzberg.

The surgery went well. It took about 3 hours. A bit longer than anticipated because my small bowel was 800cms in length. Since he uses the Hess method for determining Common Channel length he double checked the length.

The stay in the hospital was uneventful in that everything was good wirh my numbers and stats. They called me the overachiever because I walked around the nurses stations about 35 times. I discovered that walking really is the key to jump starting the healing process.

I came home Wednesday around noon. Yesterday I started having terrible pain in the area where the drain was located. Called Dr. Office and they said they believe it is irritated and angry and alternate ice and heat and Norco. So I did that and seems better already.

This is a big operation that changes the body in a new way. The body is going to be aggravated and bruised and tired.

I will continue to keep updates coming.

congratulations! sounds like it's going pretty well and hope the pain continues to decrease.
how's your fluid intake?

Hello All! Quick update.. I am hanging in there. I am back at work fulltime. Recovery is a beast. Some days it feels like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Honestly, getting fluid in is a problem. I mean .. it is difficult. Everything tastes terrible. I really don't want it.. but I am working at it diligently. Anyone have any tips on how to get more in there comfortably? Also- THE POO FACTOR- I have had several days of either white, light or pale. Anything to be worried about? Normal? Don't want to always call the Dr and be a pest. Thanks Everyone.

Hello All! Quick update.. I am hanging in there. I am back at work fulltime. Recovery is a beast. Some days it feels like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Honestly, getting fluid in is a problem. I mean .. it is difficult. Everything tastes terrible. I really don't want it.. but I am working at it diligently. Anyone have any tips on how to get more in there comfortably? Also- THE POO FACTOR- I have had several days of either white, light or pale. Anything to be worried about? Normal? Don't want to always call the Dr and be a pest. Thanks Everyone.
Because you now malabsorb fat and most of your bile isn’t in play until the common channel, it’s no longer the typical brown. Light brown to almost white is pretty normal for us.

As for HOW to get fluids in, ALWAYS have a drink with you. In the car, at your desk, by your easy chair, by your bed, in the bathroom. Sip all the time. Count fluids mixed in shakes.

It gets better. I can now guzzle to my hearts content. I remember how hard it was in the:D beginning.

A good habit to get into - always having something to drink with you. I didn't really get into it until a couple of years ago when we moved to the Phoenix area - now I won't go out on a walk or to the grocery store without a drink with me. I'm more likely to forget my wallet or driving glasses than my drink now.

I think what makes the fluid difficult is that Dr. B did an adjustment on the sleeve- just tightening it a bit and that is way different than it was before. So I went from 3 year out sleeve to smaller sleeve.

Honestly, getting fluid in is a problem. I mean .. it is difficult. Everything tastes terrible. I really don't want it.. but I am working at it diligently
sounds like you are doing the right thing. besides always sipping (all day long!) experiment. something might not taste good one time and later it's what works best. different beverages, different temperatures. have you tried hot broth, popsicles, tepid lemonade.
I did best with grape favored drink that was so cold it was slushy.

Latest posts

Back