"Metabolic" surgery associated with lower Covid risk than non-ops

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I put "metabolic" in quotes because they only included sleeve and RNY. But it should apply to DSers even more. However, note that the comparison is non-ops with morbid obesity, not normal weight people.

Conclusion: Prior metabolic surgery with subsequent weight loss and improvement of metabolic abnormalities was associated with lower rates of hospital and ICU admission in patients with obesity who became infected with SARS-CoV-2. Confirmation of these findings will require larger studies

I wished I had paid more attention to something my husband said. He saw an article discussing how vitamin D deficiency is a risk for Covid. He knows that I am not deficient. I did find this:

Does vitamin D protect against COVID-19?
There is some evidence to suggest that vitamin D might help protect against becoming infected with, and developing serious symptoms of, COVID-19. We know, for example, that people with low vitamin D levels may be more susceptible to upper respiratory tract infections. One meta-analysis found that people who took vitamin D supplements, particularly those who had low vitamin D levels, were less likely to develop acute respiratory tract infections than those who didn't.
Vitamin D may protect against COVID-19 in two ways. First, it may help boost our bodies' natural defense against viruses and bacteria. Second, it may help prevent an exaggerated inflammatory response, which has been shown to contribute to severe illness in some people with COVID-19.
Nov 23, 2020

Treatments for COVID-19 - Harvard Health

Does this say something other than…the more obese you are the more at risk you are?

That’s all I get out of it.

Latest posts

Back