Met a Stranger Who Actually Knew About the DS

k9ophile

I went to a meeting totally unrelated to anything WLS related. I went because the man speaking was the therapist who helped in the immediate pre- and post-op periods. I was talking to his daughter and telling her how much he had helped me with the mental aspects around WLS. She then mentions that a friend of hers had the DS. NEVER in my after surgery life have I heard anyone say anything about the DS when the topic of WLS comes up. She also said she couldn't understand why anyone would get anything else if they were going to have WLS. She also didn't understand why it wasn't done more. I told her some of the sad reality about the economics of the way money influences decisions. DS is longer, takes additional training, yada yada yada. (Back when I was still speaking to my surgeon, the hospital restricted his access to the OR to one day a week to perform the DS. It was for-profit, yet the idea of treating procedures based on how much time it takes to do them does make sense to money grubbing bastards.)

Latest posts

Back