Met a Long-Term Successful Bandster

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
I met a man who has had a band for more than 10 years. He is in his 50's and he did have plastics. Just to look at him you would say he could lose 5 or 10 lbs but that's it. He is a shorter man and we all know, the shorter you are, the fatter you look! His total loss was 240lbs. He keeps his band really full. He said a chicken breast would be 10 meals for him! His go to drinks are SF cranberry juice and G2. He does take vites every day and looks pretty healthy. First successful bandster I have met IRL.

GOOD FOR HIM!!!! Horrible to think of what so many bandsters go through. May he have a long and healthy life with that band!

He'll be the exception that proves the rule.

good for him, wonder if he knows how unusual (lucky!) he is....how does he get in enough protein?

There are so few out there. I'm happy to read he's doing well. I am sympathetic to those that chose the band believing it was a long-term viable option to only find themselves having so many difficulties.

I'm so glad we are able to post the truth on this site without fear of censorship. I was posting on a different site-posted some negative things about the lap bands failure/complication rate, and the very next day the forum admin posted a new policy prohibiting negative comments about any procedures. HUH?! I consider myself a man of science and I'm supposed to ignore great harm done to innocent people because of a shoddy procedure-because many people get rich doing and promoting it? Bah! Medical science advances as time marches on. The sleeve is an eminently superior procedure for those needing to lose less than 100 lbs . I'm thrilled to be having a DS soon, I know it's the very best available TODAY, but will happily promote a better option if one is available 5 yrs from today. Save the emotional attachments for people! Not for any procedure.

All I can say is that I am glad I did my research! I thought that the band might be a good option for me then I started researching. I found out about the DS from my sister who has a friend who had one. Then I found the forums, AHHHH, information!

I actually had an epiphany just a few short months ago after weighing in at 412 lbs- a new all time high. It caught me by surprise and I immediately decided to do something about it once and for all. I decided to check the internet to see what was available nowadays for weight loss surgery. I knew 7 co-workers who had tried lap bands, and ALL 7 had serious complications and needed emergency surgery to remove it. No sir!! One of those lost 100+ lbs on the band but had such severe erosion she needed surgery the next morning when they checked her. She later had a sleeve-which is a great procedure that's helped many. I am a huge fan of it. But in my research I soon learned that for larger folks like me, the DS was a far better procedure. I'd never heard of it prior to a few months ago, but knew it was my only hope to ever regain a "normal" weight again. Like you Newanatomy, and you too Brooklyngirl, I am sooo happy I did my home work! Still pre-op here but will keep you all posted on my progress. Can't wait to begin this exciting new chapter of my life.

I actually had an epiphany just a few short months ago after weighing in at 412 lbs- a new all time high. It caught me by surprise and I immediately decided to do something about it once and for all. I decided to check the internet to see what was available nowadays for weight loss surgery. I knew 7 co-workers who had tried lap bands, and ALL 7 had serious complications and needed emergency surgery to remove it. No sir!! One of those lost 100+ lbs on the band but had such severe erosion she needed surgery the next morning when they checked her. She later had a sleeve-which is a great procedure that's helped many. I am a huge fan of it. But in my research I soon learned that for larger folks like me, the DS was a far better procedure. I'd never heard of it prior to a few months ago, but knew it was my only hope to ever regain a "normal" weight again. Like you Newanatomy, and you too Brooklyngirl, I am sooo happy I did my home work! Still pre-op here but will keep you all posted on my progress. Can't wait to begin this exciting new chapter of my life.
I can't even say that I came to this conclusion from "doing my homework". My surgeon recommended the DS a week before surgery, telling me that he felt it would be unethical to not tell me this would be my best option for success, even though it wasn't his specialty. I had never heard of it before and only then did I start researching the hell out of it and I'm forever grateful for @Larra dragging me to where the vets were to read and ask questions. Many people wouldn't do what I did with my surgeon, trusting a virtual "newbie" but I grilled him on his training and his mentor, who is vetted, was going to be scrubbed in next to him, so I was comfortable with it. New surgeons have to start somewhere, no? That being said, I know it's not for everyone. My sister had VSG 6 weeks after my surgery and I believe it's right for her. She's young and flighty and doesn't take things very seriously, plus she had way less to lose than I did, so I think she made the right choice. I just wish everyone had all the info and options!

I personally do not know anyone that has WLS. I knew zilch about WLS except I needed it and that an acquaintance of my husband had the same insurance as I and it covered it. When I called the local bariatric surgery center they told me my insurance required a Center of Excellence. I called there to make an appointment (everyone cover your eyes on the next part). They asked which surgeon's seminar I wanted and I said "oh it doesn't matter, who ever has an opening first". Then I went to the COE's website and started reading and watching every story and video. That is where I first even heard of the DS. They had a link to Dsfacts.com and I just kept reading. It did not take me long to realize the DS is what I wanted and needed. They had a link to here and other forums. The next day I called back and said I need to change my seminar to Dr. Inman's, she's the only one that does the surgery I need.

From what I have read most that lose weight with the lapband it seems to be because they are ill from it and cannot eat.

Edited to add more;)

I went to the seminar of the surgeon who is local to me. He talked about all 4 surgeries, but the one that appealed to me the most was RNY. He made the DS seem extremely risky and only for the SMO. During the seminar, he said something about getting sick off of one bite of ice cream (I now know that he was referring to dumping and that not everyone does it, but I didn't then). Then he laughed and said that "we love it" when that happens because "we never want you to eat ice cream again." The thought of never getting even a bite of the things I loved haunted me and I almost quit then and there. I went into my 6 month diet very very very conflicted about whether I wanted to have surgery at all!!

At the psychologist I went to, there was a brochure for Obesity Help and I remembered it and visited there. I started reading and reading and realized that DS was more like what I was looking for. I started gathering my evidence and then made another appointment with my doctor (usually you don't see him again until the day of the surgery). I presented him with all my reasons and he reluctantly agreed that I knew what I was talking about and he was willing to do a DS on me. I really had to convince him because at that point he wasn't doing very many DS's (I think he's doing more now.) Best decision ever!

Latest posts

Back