Medications that negatively affect bone loss and contribute to Osteoporosis

Synthroid and progesterone for me! I think estrogen will help counter that which I'm on also. Time to do some weight lifting!

do you think something l ike zantac would effect the bone loss enough to stop taking it? I take 1 pill a day. I have osteoporosis a veryhigh pth and low calcium

do you think something l ike zantac would effect the bone loss enough to stop taking it? I take 1 pill a day. I have osteoporosis a veryhigh pth and low calcium
And how is your D?

If I had a high PTH, I would up my calcium AND my D to get the calcium at midrange and the D as close to 100 as possible. The SHOULD bring your PTH back down.

But damage from reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. Not something I am willing to chance.

And how is your D?

If I had a high PTH, I would up my calcium AND my D to get the calcium at midrange and the D as close to 100 as possible. The SHOULD bring your PTH back down.

But damage from reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. Not something I am willing to chance.

my d currently is the highest it has ever been at 64. I know not high enough but at least it is moving up. unlike my calcium which will not budge.
my pth is 130 and honestly my endo said thats not so bad.. not like it is 300.. concidering it should be like what 20.. I htink 130 is horrendeous

my d currently is the highest it has ever been at 64. I know not high enough but at least it is moving up. unlike my calcium which will not budge.
my pth is 130 and honestly my endo said thats not so bad.. not like it is 300.. concidering it should be like what 20.. I htink 130 is horrendeous
What is your calcium?

@cheryl baker It sounds like you need to take more calcium citrate. I had problems with my PTH for awhile as well, and found that I needed to really get serious about this and increase BOTH my D and my calcium to get the PTH going back down. Make sure your calcium is in the citrate form (not carbonate) and that your dosage is correct - most calcium citrate pills are only 250 mg and a single dose is 500, meaning 2 pills at a time. If you're like me and really can't swallow those huge pills, either use a pill cutter or try the Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate lozenges that you can either chew up or suck on til they dissolve. It will take diligence and probably amounts of calcium and D that your docs have never seen before, but you can do it.

Latest posts

Back