Medicare Insanity

Sounds like he's going in the right direction. I hope he'll be able to go home soon, as his greatest improvement is most likely in his familiar environment with the people he loves.

So glad he is doing better. Elder care is so challenging. Caring for my Mother was an eye opening experience. My heart goes out to all the seniors who do not have family, friends, or some type of advocate to help with the red tape required to secure adequate medical care.

I’m glad he’s near the nurses’s station and doing better. My father was near the nursing station and it was good. But no alarms!?! So many had them at my father’s nursing home. They were helpful.

They were helpful.
they sure can be, but I often saw them going off and nobody responding to them. not sure if there is an option if they really are needed.

I know with bedrails if you get a doctor's order for them (people need them for repositioning, for example) sometimes you can have them. but generally no "restraints" which include bedrails because people can't lower them from in bed and nothing that violates dignity, as the alarms are said to do.

really, I can see it both ways.

I've lost track of what varies by state, too.

But when I went there today - wow. He's even more much better today! PT who worked with him today couldn't believe the difference since yesterday. He went to the bathroom today with little assistance. He ate his dinner entirely by himself, and asked quite normal questions like where is he, how did he get here, how long has he been here. And his speech was much clearer and coherent.

When he had to go pee, he walked to the bathroom mostly with just supervision using a walker, and then didn't wait for help when he was done - got himself up and pants up and started walking out. I got the nurse - and he decided it was time to leave. We said he could walk the hall a bit, but by the time he got out there, he just about collapsed - his strength is there, but short-lived.

I’m very encouraged.

View attachment 2624

That's great to read! Best wishes to your Dad. He looks great!

I'm so glad he is getting better! so many SNF patients really need SUPERVISION so being close to the nurses station is excellent.

can no longer have "restraints"

My Dad's facility can't use seatbelts to keep him or any other memory care residents in their wheelchairs. It's hazardous as people there often forget they have physical limitations and try to stand up. They fall if someone isn't close enough to stop them. We got a wheelchair dining tray to remind Dad to stay seated without restraining him. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V9SPD8/ We also have motion sensors next to his bed, and a fall mat next to it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For home, we have a motion detector we can put under his bed that detects his feet getting out of bed.

When I got there today, the county had just issued orders to close down visiting at nursing homes, because Maricopa County is now in the red zone (duh). My sister and niece are flying here tomorrow! And my brothers are driving here this weekend! I talked to the administrator, and we came up with a plan - it is unseasonably not grossly hot (only about 100° this week and next), so we will visit outside.

I wasn’t there long, but got them to agree to put Dad’s buprenorphine pain patch back on (they removed it because it wasn’t on his med list), and made arrangements to pick him up in the morning for his urologist appointment.

The administrator stopped to talk to him, and Dad was conversational and much more fluid and intelligent-sounding than he’s been in weeks. He had a particular polysyllabic word in mind and almost got it, but not quite - he said he was “applicating” to the facility - knew it wasn’t quite the right word, and we kind of knew what he meant - I realized it acclimating! But last week he was basically grunting if he tried to talk at all.

As Dad was eating (feeding himself) his puréed mush, the administrator asked him if there was anything he could do for him, and do he asked if the administrator had a menu he could please select his meals from. To his credit, the guy went down to the kitchen and got him one.

I’m cautiously optimistic. But I didn’t see him get up and walk today, because I couldn’t stay long due to the new rules. He was sitting up eating in his wheelchair, so that’s good that he wasn’t in bed.

Later, I got a recorded call that only visitors who are vaccinated or had a recent negative Covid test could visit, and only on a schedule. I’m good with that.

He’s got another UTI, dammit. And again, isn’t all there.

All of my siblings and my niece are here this weekend. Perhaps the last time we’ll all be together with him. My sister and niece flew in from the East Coast and my brothers drove up from LA yesterday.

My kids and their significant others were all traveling to a wedding in Colorado, and in fact are in Las Vegas today on their way back to the Bay Area - so close (280 miles) and yet so far. ☹

He’s got another UTI, dammit. And again, isn’t all there.

All of my siblings and my niece are here this weekend. Perhaps the last time we’ll all be together with him. My sister and niece flew in from the East Coast and my brothers drove up from LA yesterday.

My kids and their significant others were all traveling to a wedding in Colorado, and in fact are in Las Vegas today on their way back to the Bay Area - so close (280 miles) and yet so far. ☹

View attachment 2626
I am so sorry to hear he has yet another UTI. Has his urine been cultured?

Yup - a different bug each time. This one is Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis. He wasn’t clear who was visiting.

So sorry about all the UTI's but glad the family was able to get together. I hope he clears soon.

Latest posts

Back