Make your own mayo w/ flavored oils, vinegars, salts

bearmom

I'm on a home made mayo kick, and use one of those little immersion blenders which makes it soo easy. The food processor is a super easy way to do it too.

Currently liking avocado oil for my base oil, but have a zillion flavored oils, flavored vinegars, and flavored salts, all of which I mix and match to make the perfect mayo.

This is the season for salads - potato, egg, lettuce, and I use mayo for all of them. Ranch or blue cheese salad dressing made with your own mayo is to die for, and everyone WILL notice.

When you use olive oil, it's easy to then blend in some basil, pine nuts (liking the hemp hearts added to this one a lot) and parmesan for killer creamy pesto.

My good cholesterol is finally inching up too. I think I know why.

Can you give a couple sample recipes so we get some idea of ingredient proportions? Or even just a general description of what you do?

The basic ratios I use are:

2 cups oil (current favorite is avocado oil, and sometimes blend it with olive, but that adds distinct flavor. So does coconut. There are flavored oils that are great too, but I usually limit those to several tablespoons)
1 whole egg (If you like it richer, you can use yolks only, but then I'd two two yolks)
2 table spoons vinegar (original recipe used cheap white vinegar, but I have used cider vinegar, and all sorts of flavored ones)
1/2 teaspoon mustard (I have used dry, dijon, frenchs yellow, it all works)
1/4 teaspoon salt

I put it all in a mason jar, and put a submersible blender in to the bottom ad let it blend from the bottom up. You need to start the blender in the eggs. They will be hanging out at the bottom under the oil.

If you use a food processor, then put everything but the oil in, start it, and pour the oil in while it runs.

The amount for any ingredient can be variable, and the recipe seems quite forgiving, but if something goes amiss and you end up with "broken" mayo, which is runny and wont thicken, then DO NOT THROW IT OUT. Put another egg into a container, then start the mixer, then pour the runny mess into it slowly.

My Mom made mayo for salad dressings. All I really remember is sometimes it failed completely. That's probably why I don't do it! Recipes please!

My Mom made mayo for salad dressings. All I really remember is sometimes it failed completely. That's probably why I don't do it! Recipes please!
At the bottom of the recipe above, I put the only fix I've ever needed that uses another egg, and never had it fail.

There is another one I've heard of but not tried that instead of another egg you use a cooked, peeled white potato and mash it smooth, then pour the mixture into it.

Bearmom, what do you use as a dressing for regular (green) salad? can you post recipes for that?

Bearmom, what do you use as a dressing for regular (green) salad? can you post recipes for that?
My absolute favorite is blue cheese dressing. This this one was originally and Altan Brown recipe, but I've changed to to suit me through the years.

4 ounces bleu cheese (you can use any of the bleu stuff, like cheaper gorgonzola or creamier roquefort)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup mayonnaise
These three ingredients, sour cream, buttermilk and mayo, I alter the amounts based on what I like, but just try to make the three of them come out to at least one cup combined.

1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions
If not already crumbled, put the bleu cheese in a small mixing bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper and combine. Serve or store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week.

I've also just been adding things to the mayo and dipping veggies into it. So far some of my favorite things to blend in (not necessarily at the same time) are mustard, dill, garlic, flavored and balsamic vinegars (fig, citrus, itialian), and it sounds odd, but taco or salsa flavoring.

I like chunky bits too if I'm using chips, and like things like water chestnuts, hemp hearts or artichoke.

If I use olive oil to make the mayo, it has a very distinct flavor, and that makes a great dip base too for a more pesto-like dip. I just use all the same stuff I'd use to make pesto - pulverized fresh basil, garlic, parmesan and pine nuts. Like everything, I may alter the cheese, or use hemp hearts instead of the pine nuts.

Necroposting on this dressing post, because a miracle just happened. Can you hear angels, trumpets, unexplained choirs???

I made THE. PERFECT. DRESSING.

Mayo recipe above, but added balsamic vinegar instead of regular (and I little extra) with figs, and and some blood orange to the oil, and a bit of splenda. This is incredible. I'm tempted to roll in it.

I was wondering where the music came from. I won't try this for awhile (because: relocation!!) but I want to. don't let me forget!!! o_O

I just want it (mayo) to always taste like Best Foods, aka Helmans or Hellmans or something east of the Mighty Mississippi.

My fave if I have to buy it is also Hellman's/best foods, but I haven't tried Dukes.

Unfortunately, after I made home made, there has been no going back.

This Yankee is not a fan of Duke's. It's too rich for me, esp since {gasp!} I don't really like mayo in the first place! I can only use it for salads that need to be binded together and will mask the smell/taste. I used to get grossed out by the way it squished out of my sandwiches as a kid :rolleyes:

I don't like condiments. No ketchup, mustard, miracle whip none of it. The only dressing I will eat is ranch and there are some brands I don't like. I pretty much have determined it is the vinegar in these that I can't tolerate. I think I have hyper taste buds.

I can only tolerate mayo when I put it in my chicken salad. I only use enough to hold the ingredients together.

I am a freak, I know.

Latest posts

Back