Magnesium Glycinate vs Magnesium Citrate

LizJ

Crazy Dog Mom!
So, I was taking the wrong type of Magnesium until last week when I switched and all of a sudden my bathroom habits have increased drastically. This has been the only change in daily food/supplements, well and I haven't taken any Mirlax the last few days...
smiley-dancing.gif
Anyone else have this problem or is this why most other DSer's I've talked to don't need daily Mirlax? I was taking Magnesium Glycinate for a few weeks and realized it was the wrong kind and switch to Citrate.:X3:

Liz

Watch YOUR labs, listen to YOUR guts. Citrate or Glycinate to ABSORB magnesium. Oxide for constipation. Citrate in Vitalady DS dosages should not cause loose stools. Look at something else.

When I looked into it, the Citrate is what helps with constipation due to iron, which is what I had for a while. It looks like I won’t need the Mirlax if I use the Citrate. I didn’t take any Mirlax today and I’ve been regular, which hasn’t happened since I increased my iron after my tests in July. :sneaky:

Many people find that calcium of any type is constipating. It doesn't bother me, but I don't take a lot of it (1260 mg/day, in two doses). I take 200 mg of MgCit with each dose. I still seem to have bones and decent PTH.

Many people find that calcium of any type is constipating. It doesn't bother me, but I don't take a lot of it (1260 mg/day, in two doses). I take 200 mg of MgCit with each dose. I still seem to have bones and decent PTH.
Is it OK to take magnesium with calcium? I thought they were supposed to be taken 2 hours apart.

Together, actually. Calcium and magnesium should be taken separately from iron. Probably away from copper too, but I take my copper at the same time, and my numbers went up. And I take zinc at the same time too. (I don't worry about iron anymore, because I get mine from infusions as needed.)

Together, actually. Calcium and magnesium should be taken separately from iron. Probably away from copper too, but I take my copper at the same time, and my numbers went up. And I take zinc at the same time too. (I don't worry about iron anymore, because I get mine from infusions as needed.)
Dr. K's FB group has shared some information suggesting they need to be apart. Yet most calcium includes magnesium. So if we can find solid research on the question, it would help.

Magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate both have laxative effects. Magnesium glycinate is like less to have laxative effects, is easier on the stomach, and is better absorbed.

Magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate both have laxative effects. Magnesium glycinate is like less to have laxative effects, is easier on the stomach, and is better absorbed.
I actually need the laxative effect. I'm now off Mirlax for the first time in almost 6 months! Long term Mirlax is not recommended and it's pricey as hell compared to the Magnesium...:sneaky:

Latest posts

Back