1. Bookmarks current add on will be replaced when we upgrade. Please open your bookmarks and copy to a text document to save them. There is no replacement for the blogs. So please copy your blog entries into the Sharing My Journey board. The current add ons will be uninstalled 31 Dec 2018

Magnesium Glycinate vs Magnesium Citrate

Discussion in 'Vitamins & Labs' started by LizJ, Nov 13, 2018.

LizJ

LizJ Well-Known Member

So, I was taking the wrong type of Magnesium until last week when I switched and all of a sudden my bathroom habits have increased drastically. This has been the only change in daily food/supplements, well and I haven't taken any Mirlax the last few days...[​IMG] Anyone else have this problem or is this why most other DSer's I've talked to don't need daily Mirlax? I was taking Magnesium Glycinate for a few weeks and realized it was the wrong kind and switch to Citrate.:X3:

Liz

chevtow

chevtow Well-Known Member

Glycinate is better option I do believe. It is absorbed better than citrate

LizJ

LizJ Well-Known Member

All the boards I've read say Citrate, including Vitalady.

chevtow

chevtow Well-Known Member

Glycinate is more bio available. Most of the DS FB pages have that listed as the best. KAL is popular brand.

LizJ

LizJ Well-Known Member

I'll look into it. Thanks

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

Just avoid Mag Oxide.

Susan in Tennessee

Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

I do a mixture of glycinate and citrate!

Sheanie

Sheanie Well-Known Member

Watch YOUR labs, listen to YOUR guts. Citrate or Glycinate to ABSORB magnesium. Oxide for constipation. Citrate in Vitalady DS dosages should not cause loose stools. Look at something else.

LizJ

LizJ Well-Known Member

When I looked into it, the Citrate is what helps with constipation due to iron, which is what I had for a while. It looks like I won’t need the Mirlax if I use the Citrate. I didn’t take any Mirlax today and I’ve been regular, which hasn’t happened since I increased my iron after my tests in July. :sneaky:

DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

Many people find that calcium of any type is constipating. It doesn't bother me, but I don't take a lot of it (1260 mg/day, in two doses). I take 200 mg of MgCit with each dose. I still seem to have bones and decent PTH.

RainCity

RainCity Well-Known Member

Is it OK to take magnesium with calcium? I thought they were supposed to be taken 2 hours apart.

DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

Together, actually. Calcium and magnesium should be taken separately from iron. Probably away from copper too, but I take my copper at the same time, and my numbers went up. And I take zinc at the same time too. (I don't worry about iron anymore, because I get mine from infusions as needed.)

RainCity likes this.
    southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

Dr. K's FB group has shared some information suggesting they need to be apart. Yet most calcium includes magnesium. So if we can find solid research on the question, it would help.

Settledownnow

Settledownnow Well-Known Member

Magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate both have laxative effects. Magnesium glycinate is like less to have laxative effects, is easier on the stomach, and is better absorbed.

LizJ

LizJ Well-Known Member

I actually need the laxative effect. I'm now off Mirlax for the first time in almost 6 months! Long term Mirlax is not recommended and it's pricey as hell compared to the Magnesium...:sneaky:

hilary1617 likes this.