Magic Rolls

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
I made the Magic Rolls tonight and they worked! I did NOT add the extra egg white, and I only made 9 (they would've been too small for a burger if I made 12). I also rotated the pans half-way through baking, the tray on top would've burned if I hadn't, but I'm a baker and that's what I always do :)
These came out almost exactly like a cream puff, in taste and texture. I just had one with a burger and there was very little taste to it, but it gave the feeling of eating a burger on a bun, which was AWESOME for me. I also used the rest in place of lady fingers to make a low-carb tiramisu. I shall report on that once I see how it comes out! I'll also be making cream puffs very soon :D

http://findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP of water
  • 6 TBSP of butter (3/4 stick)
  • 1/4 cup of white whole wheat flour (or any flour, really)
  • 3/4 cup of vital wheat gluten (Bob’s Red Mill)
  • 3 eggs
  • pinch of salt (my addition)
  • 1 egg white (optional)
Heat oven to 425 F. Line 2 half sheet pans with parchment paper.

Mix water (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until butter melts and simmers.

In a bowl, mix together the gluten and the flour. Add a pinch of salt if desired.

Add this mixture to the pan and stir and mash until all of the dry material is absorbed.

Remove from heat, let rest for a couple minutes, and beat in the eggs one at a time.

It will seem lumpy after the first egg, but don’t worry about that. Don’t use an electric mixture or you will work too much air into the batter, although a paddle attachment of a stand mixer would work on slow speed.

After mixing in the eggs, the batter should be somewhat stiff, but soft.

Here is where the optional egg white comes in. If the batter is too dry and really stiff, add the egg white. If the dough mounds well on a cookie sheet, don’t add the egg white. I did not need to add it. I think it depends a little on the size of the egs.

Using a disher or spoons, mound the batter onto the cookie sheet into 6 mounds on each sheet pan for a total of 12 rolls. I used a small disher and did 2 scoops for each roll. I think that is just shy of 1/4 cup?

See how it settles a little, but still holds it shape and doesn’t spread out much? That is what you want. I lucked out on my first try! Leave space because they get big in the oven!

Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.

And here's how they came out...
20141126_175955_zpsxtybpfws.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back