Low HDL and how to fix?

LorettaLynn

6 months out. Weighing about 181 at 5’6.

My HDL is low at 37. PCP says “All your test results look good except on lipid profile HDL is low at 37 ( < 40 is risk factor for heart disease and >60 is considered negative risk factor for heart disease). Exercise improves HDL. Also avoid saturated fast as butter, full fat dairy, red meat. Instead take unsaturated fats as olive oil, salmon , avocados. With your cholesterol numbers your 10 years risk of heart disease is 0.5 %. If risk is < 7.5% -no medication recommended.”

Now realistically I cannot stop butter, full fat dairy and red meat. I already eat salmon and avocados like candy. I did just start an exercise regimen with a bike this week. Prior to the DS I took Crestor for high cholesterol but quit it immediately after surgery. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to fix my HDL number? LDL was 93, triglycerides was 74.

You can certainly eat lean proteins such as turkey, chicken, lean pork, lean grass-fed beef, egg whites, and fish and cook with olive oil.

You are very early out. What were your lab results pre-DS? I bet they are already much better! Your body is still adjusting and shedding weight and I'm sure your lab values are going to change again.

Congratulations on starting to exercise program. Keep experimenting and trying different kinds of exercise to keep yourself motivated and interested.

Exercise is the main thing to shift the HDL:LDL ratio. And the TGs and cholesterol will trend back up over time as your body gets used to the new normal. Don’t worry about it for another couple of years.

Latest posts

Back