Looking for Ideas

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
I used to run. I hated running just like I hate all exercise but I did it. I talked myself into running because it took up less time than walking. You can also read this to say it wasted less of my time than walking. I like swimming but it's too cold for that now. Running was really good for me. It was the first exercise I was ever able to stick with and do consistently. When I was running 5 or 6 days a week, I could eat pretty much as I pleased and I was in great shape for an old bat.

Then I started working at jobs that put me on my feet all the time. My feet just plain hurt and once I get home I want to be off my feet so I can do it all over again the next day. I have wonderful shoes and I wear compression socks so I am trying to take care of my feet. I also can't do core exercises like crunches, etc, because I have a hernia.

The problem is exercise. What can I do that's going to burn serious calories and keep me off my feet? From the knees down, I get plenty of exercise. I need help from the knees up!

I used to really enjoy stationary bike classes, good idea. Perhaps there are some indoor pool facilities available in your area. Swimming is amazing exercise. It can burn calories and trim and tone the body. Because swimming uses almost all the muscles at the same time, it gives a total body workout and is aerobic, so it also has positive affects on mood and well being. Water exercise or water aerobics would also give a great workout if you find the right one. To burn calories the workout would need to be aerobic in nature. However, it doesn't have to be strenuous. I would suggest that anyone looking for the right exercise for them, first do some research so they understand the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise. This way you will know how to get the maximum fat and calorie burning results, without overworking and injuring your body.

Last edited:
DeeDee, Munchin put the following in her original post re swimming "I like swimming but it's too cold for that now."

Oh Duh! Thanks huneypie, sorry Munchkin. That's what happens when one reads something and then decides to comment later without re-reading. I tried a search for " upper body aerobic workouts"and after swimming, hand cycling and boxing came up most often. Possibilities? I still believe it helpful to anyone searching for the right exercise program for them to do research and understand the difference between anaerobic and aerobic exercise.

If you like weight lifting classes. They have many where you can modify especially for your hernia, a circuit training class with an excellent understanding instructor should be able to advise you. If that is not your thing, Youtube has tons of chair workouts, it will get you in routine of doing something rather than nothing. If you dont have weights you can use cans of soup, for resistance. Personally I like group classes, not always, I find them more motivating and help when I have lack of motivation. Let us know what works for you.

If it won't aggravate the hernia.. I really enjoy(ed) heavy weight lifting. I will get into it off and on, though I try to do something for 10mins a day, whether stretching or some weights/planking etc I have around the house. I did find huge fast results (amazing metabolic response=needing to up my intake significantly) while doing the super-slow, heavy weight lifting 1x a week for about 20 mins. It's not a joke, you feel noodled after and man.. it works. Along the same lines as HIIT.. stresses your body which garners a fast response in little overall time-commitment. Very doable, and was originally studied to help osteoporosis and limited mobility patients.

HIIT for runners was like a timed series of sprints. I did that. And it works. Gets more results than just running alone considering it takes less time.

Weight lifting is pretty much out for me because of the hernia. Plus I regularly(maybe 30 times per shift) lift large boxes of kitchen equipment weighing 30 to 50lbs. And even that makes the hernia hurt.

Stationary bike might be a good idea. I would just crank up the IPOD and do it. Will have to see if I can find room for one. Joining a gym is another great idea. They have everything. But I have joined the gym at least 10 times and didn't go. I'm lazy and hate exercise. I have thrown away a lot of money over the years on gym memberships. I have always said the hardest part of exercise for me was that first step out of the house. I would be much more likely to actually do something that didn't require getting in the car and driving there. Plus a room full of 20 something hard bodies would intimidate me to the core. Group exercise classes are probably not for me. I wouldn't be the heaviest person there but I would be the flabbiest and no matter how much I exercise that won't change.

I won't join a gym again, did that.. never went. I hate group anything, and much prefer privacy when doing that sort of thing. I did when I was young and single at a ladies only deal.. but anymore, give me some weights at home and a mat and I can do just fine with what I need to keep my muscles activated. There should be some lifts you can do that don't build up pressure intra-abdominal, but would likely take a pers. trainers assistance. I DO recommend that.. the only money I'd ever shell out again would be for something like that- I did it for several months when getting into the super-slow/super heavy weights and it was worth the expense to learn.

I am however a big proponent of just walking, with occasional body weight work or slightly weighted stuff like squats and such/planking.. functional work. I really only do maybe 5-10mins a day of a little stuff... no joke, push ups against the file shelves in the closet at work.. planks at home, some squats with a 20lb kettlebell.. 10mins a day max spread out.. when the weather is nice or my oats are up, I do more, but for me at least it's keeping what I have awake and usable. Stretching too.. I get stiff as a bugger without it. HIIT sprints on a stationary bike for a couple mins at a time a couple times a week is a great thing, and next on my list when I get one of those.. I don't do well with 30min cardio boring, but can handle high intensity all out for 60 seconds at a time for a couple cycles.

I won't join a gym again, did that.. never went. I hate group anything, and much prefer privacy when doing that sort of thing. I did when I was young and single at a ladies only deal.. but anymore, give me some weights at home and a mat and I can do just fine with what I need to keep my muscles activated. There should be some lifts you can do that don't build up pressure intra-abdominal, but would likely take a pers. trainers assistance. I DO recommend that.. the only money I'd ever shell out again would be for something like that- I did it for several months when getting into the super-slow/super heavy weights and it was worth the expense to learn.

I am however a big proponent of just walking, with occasional body weight work or slightly weighted stuff like squats and such/planking.. functional work. I really only do maybe 5-10mins a day of a little stuff... no joke, push ups against the file shelves in the closet at work.. planks at home, some squats with a 20lb kettlebell.. 10mins a day max spread out.. when the weather is nice or my oats are up, I do more, but for me at least it's keeping what I have awake and usable. Stretching too.. I get stiff as a bugger without it. HIIT sprints on a stationary bike for a couple mins at a time a couple times a week is a great thing, and next on my list when I get one of those.. I don't do well with 30min cardio boring, but can handle high intensity all out for 60 seconds at a time for a couple cycles.
Joining the gym and then not going made me feel like such a loser! I know I seriously NEED squats because I can't do them! It's not pretty at all!

Wore a pedometer at work on an average day and it came out at 16 miles in one shift. You would think that should be enough but it isn't. I thought having an active job would sort of kill 2 birds with one stone but it doesn't work that way.

I don't feel like I know you well enough to suggest an exercise/activity....oh, hell. why let that stop me?

off your feet: horseback riding

swimming

any machine that isn't a treadmill - rowing ...heck, real rowing in a boat, on water!

have you considered consulting a Physical Therapist? I have worked with some awesome PTs (I'm an OT Assistant) at my last job and they could make good suggestions.

little bit of a hijack but I JUST learned this week that there is
such a thing as a "trampoline park" !!!

Still being a pre-op, I can't imagine exercise beyond walking, at this point. I have heard good things about Pilates or yoga though. Maybe someday.

Latest posts

Back