Looking for encouragement and advice

DBmom23

Hi everyone, i am 1 month out tomorrow and overall am doing well. BUT, i am really struggling with a feeling of mild nausea and complete aversion to food pretty much all the time. It has gotten worse over the last few days and just thinking about eating makes me think i'm going to vomit. I haven't had any vomiting actually and still getting ~60grams protein/day but it's getting harder and harder. I have been paying close attention to my fluids and i'm getting in ~70 oz/day so i don't think i'm dehydrated.

Would love to hear if anyone has BTDT and if anything helps or if this will phase out over time.

i am taking omeprazole 20mg every morning.
It is possible that, like me and some others, omeprazole does NOT work for you. Or you need a higher dose. Ask your surgeon or PCP for help.

I found out long ago, pre-op that omeprazole (which back then was ONLY prescription and known by it's trade name) did not do squat for me. I have to use Prevacid or Protonix. (I get the generic OTC Prevacid and take 2 a day).

Sounds to me like your body is getting ready for its first @ 3 week stall which I can feel in exact the same way you are describing. That was my first of many thereafter food aversions. Even 5 months out, I had one yesterday. I ate everything I was supposed to but hated it all, borderline nausea. Sure enough…got up this morning and dropped almost 2 lbs.

People might think I’m crazy, (and I very well might be but not because of this), but it has happened WAY too many times to me to be coincidental. The first one lasts the longest because for the first time in a LONG time, your body is having to re-learn how to use and burn fat instead of storing fat like it has been. It then becomes much quicker the next time because your body has re-learned that process…..thus the proverbial 3 week stall!!! It’s my theory and I am sticking to it!!!....Lol

For more scientific info regarding the 3rd week stall……Search The Inevitable Stall
By Diana C. (our own @DianaCox )

P.S. Also, when I am going through this fat conversion process, I urinate less and its color changes to orange because my body is using the water to convert fat, to usable glycogen/glucogen. You may wanna check your pee?

Last edited:
And for relieving nausea, there is nothing like ginger. I keep a jar of pickled ginger (the kind you get with sushi) in the fridge and a bag of preserved ginger in my cabinet. A tiny slice of either chewed up slowly works almost all the time for any sort of nausea. I discovered this during my only pregnancy, 23+ years ago and have always had ginger on hand since then.

I had to switch up my acid reducers/PPIs several times, could be that. I'd msee about adding a nighttime dose before switching. And yeah, what @OldBroad said, those kinds of things can help. So can something like zofran. There's options for you, don't get discouraged!

oh DBMom I hate this is happening. I agree with all that the PPI needs to be changed - I have to have Nexum - have actually been on it for years. Recently changed pharmacy's and they gave me generic and I swear it does not seem to work as well. Sometimes, I take one in the am and one in the pm (40mg) when things are really stirred up.
I like the idea of probiotics several times a day. I guess I did not realize we could take them more than once. Hell, sometimes I am so blond.

I know sometimes I feel like my tummy is really tentative and have trouble to describing that I am really nauseous. I have taken a Zofran that does help. I have even just gagged brushing teeth and stuff.

for sure change your PPI and let us know that the doc suggests.

Latest posts

Back