Liquid Diet Rollercoaster

sophiehatter

Since I am scheduled for surgery on 10/20, and my surgeon asked for a liquid diet for 2 weeks, I have been on it now for 4 days. (hahaha i typed "4 weeks" first ... it sure feels like it!)

On Monday and Tuesday, I was mad and sad. And tired. I got online on Monday night and read stories of lots of people whose surgeons let them eat lettuce and meat in their pre-op diet (basically low carb, still low calorie), and I thought, "screw it, I am going to do that too."

But then on Wednesday, I had SO MUCH ENERGY! Unbelievable amounts of energy. I thought, "WOW! I can do this!"

THEN woke up this morning, Thursday, and I was a zombie again. Soooo tired! But now this evening, energy again! It's a roller coaster!!!!

I have been keeping myself sane by telling myself "I can cheat once if I want to!" But now after four days, I don't want to cheat. Because I believe there must be some good in cleaning out my body in this way before surgery, and also getting over some of my emotional entertainment value of food. (I *thought* I was prepared for that -- but it hit me so hard on Monday, no more big meals. Ever. It was grief-like, and has gone away but I hope if it comes back I am prepared to deal.)

I found that either the chicken broth, or the sugar free popsicles, have helped me when the protein shake was not enough. And of course, I am drinking water, water, water, at least 3 liters a day. I also found calcium chews were a delightful treat! They were nasty to me when I tried them before! Now they are a delicacy -- almost like a candy and after one I am happy and I can go on!

Because I believe there must be some good in cleaning out my body in this way before surgery, and also getting over some of my emotional entertainment value of food. (I *thought* I was prepared for that -- but it hit me so hard on Monday, no more big meals. Ever. It was grief-like, and has gone away but I hope if it comes back I am prepared to deal.)

I found that either the chicken broth, or the sugar free popsicles, have helped me when the protein shake was not enough. And of course, I am drinking water, water, water, at least 3 liters a day. I also found calcium chews were a delightful treat! They were nasty to me when I tried them before! Now they are a delicacy -- almost like a candy and after one I am happy and I can go on!
You got this...

Big meals are very over rated...what is the fun in eating til you can't move? Better to just eat enough and truly enjoy what you eat and that will come again! That is only misplaced in the early months.

And it's amazing how filling broth can be if it needs to be.

Thank you for the encouragement! The roller coaster continues -- but the further I get into this territory, the less I want to give up. I want the surgery to go as best as it can!

And yes, broth is my new favorite! The rest of my family had gravy made of broth last night, and it didn't even appeal to me -- the broth was perfect!

I am still going strong with the liquid diet! I am finding it's easier now, though still I have some times that I just want to eat! So when those times hit, I make lists of things I can eat sometime again! (Things like lemon sage chicken, and baked ham, and artichokes -- not donuts, bleh, I don't even crave those!)

Since I am scheduled for surgery on 10/20, and my surgeon asked for a liquid diet for 2 weeks, I have been on it now for 4 days. (hahaha i typed "4 weeks" first ... it sure feels like it!)

On Monday and Tuesday, I was mad and sad. And tired. I got online on Monday night and read stories of lots of people whose surgeons let them eat lettuce and meat in their pre-op diet (basically low carb, still low calorie), and I thought, "screw it, I am going to do that too."

But then on Wednesday, I had SO MUCH ENERGY! Unbelievable amounts of energy. I thought, "WOW! I can do this!"

THEN woke up this morning, Thursday, and I was a zombie again. Soooo tired! But now this evening, energy again! It's a roller coaster!!!!

I have been keeping myself sane by telling myself "I can cheat once if I want to!" But now after four days, I don't want to cheat. Because I believe there must be some good in cleaning out my body in this way before surgery, and also getting over some of my emotional entertainment value of food. (I *thought* I was prepared for that -- but it hit me so hard on Monday, no more big meals. Ever. It was grief-like, and has gone away but I hope if it comes back I am prepared to deal.)

Are you getting enough protein via the shakes? You don't need two weeks of protein-free clear liquids!

good plan! do you enjoy cooking?

I love cooking! I am dreaming of all the things I can cook in just a few weeks!

Are you getting enough protein via the shakes? You don't need two weeks of protein-free clear liquids!

I am currently getting 100-110 g of protein a day. The diet is 3-4 protein shakes, plus clear liquids. I have mostly been drinking Costco shakes, but I have also been slowly trying some other brands, thanks to Vitalady's sample pack of single serving shakes. (So far I love the banana ones).

Latest posts

Back