Lengthening Common Channel (LCC)

SleeplessinKY

LostBetweenTheCracks
My current doctor gave me the impression that the LCC surgery was only done if your labs were bad. My labs have always been ok to good. But I keep losing too much weight. I had a revision from a RYN to a DS in 2013. For 5 years, my efforts to eat more has made my stomach hurt real bad and greatly increased my bathroom problems. So much so, I quit getting out of the house unless I just have to. I am currently 5' 3" and weigh 105. This year I have had c-diff for 6 months, got down to 88 lbs., back up to 105 lbs., and later outpatient tests that show I have EPI and a cyst on my ovary. I am so tired of being sick. I have got to find a more experienced DS doctor. I know I can't get rid of the EPI. Would any of the other problems require a LCC?

In another post you said your revision was done in CA. Who was your doc? If it was Rabkin or Keshishian I bet they would help you. Next are you on creon/viokase?

It was Dr. Rabkin. He did an excellent job. I have additional health problems now. I don't have the resources or support to go that far. Also, he no longer takes my insurance. I may end up having to fly, but hopefully not that far. A local bariatric doctor, who is long gone from here and would not see me, gave me the name of a doctor in, I think it was Grand Rapids, Michigan. But that was over a year ago, and I have lost it. I am on creon.

My big problem is I don't "know" anything! A GI doctor waited almost a month after the lab work was done to even tell me I had EPI. He, used 2 sentences to describe it, and one to answer my question, "is this permanent?" Yes. Told me he would call in a "script" as he was rolling beside me on the way to do an EUS on me. After the EUS, he told me because of my surgery he couldn't see everywhere he needed to see and ordered an MRI that took up 2 more weeks. After almost a month, I got to see his NP. She didn't know why I was there. She said they had called me with the results of the MRI. They found a cyst on my pancreas. I never got the call, a message, nor were they listed as a missed call. She couldn't tell me anything about EPI or the cyst. Said I needed to see the doctor. Duh!! They have not let me make an appointment with the doctor. I see him December 10th. That is almost 3 months after the lab results were in.

Do you mind my asking what is Welchol? I am only taking Creon. I don't get heartburn. Internet research has told me the symptoms of EPI were stomach pain, gas, bloating, and diarrhea. I have been battling very painful stomach aches, excessive gas, bloating, and very frequent and urgent BM's since a year after the surgery trying to eat more. For 4 years, I just try real hard not to have to get out of the house. I feel just like that lady on the TV commercial. Her foot is chained to a small bathroom she has to drag around with her. Diarrhea was not a problem, until I had the C-diff for 5 months. But at least I didn't have to worry about gas and bloating during c-diff!!

I have been dancing with these same problems for 6 1/2 years. I am wore out. I have other health problems too. I have got to find a very good doctor, but one I can afford and manage to travel to.

It was Dr. Rabkin. He did an excellent job. I have additional health problems now. I don't have the resources or support to go that far. Also, he no longer takes my insurance. I may end up having to fly, but hopefully not that far. A local bariatric doctor, who is long gone from here and would not see me, gave me the name of a doctor in, I think it was Grand Rapids, Michigan. But that was over a year ago, and I have lost it. I am on creon.

You could try calling Dr. Rabkin and asking if he would consult with your doctor on your case. I would think you would only be billed for a consult.

My big problem is I don't "know" anything! A GI doctor waited almost a month after the lab work was done to even tell me I had EPI. He, used 2 sentences to describe it, and one to answer my question, "is this permanent?" Yes. Told me he would call in a "script" as he was rolling beside me on the way to do an EUS on me. After the EUS, he told me because of my surgery he couldn't see everywhere he needed to see and ordered an MRI that took up 2 more weeks. After almost a month, I got to see his NP. She didn't know why I was there. She said they had called me with the results of the MRI. They found a cyst on my pancreas. I never got the call, a message, nor were they listed as a missed call. She couldn't tell me anything about EPI or the cyst. Said I needed to see the doctor. Duh!! They have not let me make an appointment with the doctor. I see him December 10th. That is almost 3 months after the lab results were in.

Do you mind my asking what is Welchol? I am only taking Creon. I don't get heartburn. Internet research has told me the symptoms of EPI were stomach pain, gas, bloating, and diarrhea. I have been battling very painful stomach aches, excessive gas, bloating, and very frequent and urgent BM's since a year after the surgery trying to eat more. For 4 years, I just try real hard not to have to get out of the house. I feel just like that lady on the TV commercial. Her foot is chained to a small bathroom she has to drag around with her. Diarrhea was not a problem, until I had the C-diff for 5 months. But at least I didn't have to worry about gas and bloating during c-diff!!

I have been dancing with these same problems for 6 1/2 years. I am wore out. I have other health problems too. I have got to find a very good doctor, but one I can afford and manage to travel to.

Welchol (Colesevelam)is a bile acid sequestrant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile_acid_sequestrant

It is usually prescribed for high cholesterol, but it also is prescribed for bile acid diarrhea.

My doctor prescribed it for me when I was on Creon to stop excessive weight loss following pancreas surgery (not DS). This was because for me Creon caused as a side effect all of the GI symptoms you describe above, (stomach aches, excessive gas, bloating, and very frequent and urgent BM's) plus those BM's were very acidic and caused a burning sensation. The Welchol significantly reduced those Creon side effects for me.

I wish you the best on finding a great and affordable doctor and turning this around so that you can feel good.

Thank you so much. That is a good idea. However, when I think about how rough the Nashville doctor's bedside manner is, I get very anxious. He is quite arrogant. I am not sure if he would even consider consulting with Dr. Rabkin. In 3-4 years, he has not been able to help me. He has only done 2 surgerys on lengthening the common channel.

Researching, I am finding Dr. names only. I often can't tell if they do DS Revisions. And can no longer find statistical info on them, like numbers on how many of the different surgerys they have done, open or laparoscopic, and percentage of morbidity rate. If I can find one that can do a revision from RNY to DS, then I will think they has better skill sets than the ones that don't. I am not sure I need the LCC surgery. I am praying a good doctor can find something else, so I don't' have to have that surgery. I would need a very good doctor for that.

If I can figure out how to do that, do you mind if I somehow save you contact name in case things get worse with my EPI? I may need further help with Creon, and possibly Pancreas help. I may need surgery for the cyst on my pancreas. I have been told I may need to see a Pancreas doctor, and there is not one locally. I am not sure what my GI plans are, as I have never got to see him. Their communication is terrible. It is very upsetting to have dealt with sometimes severe stomach pains, gas, bloating and the other bathroom problems for 5 years. Then to find out I have EPI which causes the same problems, I will never know if it is the surgery or the EPI. Or if it is going to be twice as bad now. I still can't leave the house without worrying, and trying to be prepared for not getting to a bathroom in time. So I just stay home all I can.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Epi.. epigastric pain or something else?
I think the reference is to Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency It is a type of malabsorption specifically due to lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas. Creon is basically an enzyme replacement / supplement.

I want to check out Dr. Kemmeter. On another forum, there used to be a table with statistics on each doctor. How many surgeries of each type they had done, how many were open or laparoscopically, and how many mortalities. I would also love to know how many "Lengthening of the Common Channels" they had done. I am hoping I do not need this surgery. But I have to find a extremely experienced doctor first.

Admin note: we don’t allow references to other forums/web sites unless they allow us to post this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back