Lab Result Question

aaa

Not thrilled. My PTH has risen (it's been good for a few years) and I don't want that ribcage pain to start again. Thankfully, I'm headed up to Yale at the end of March so I guess we'll go over further treatment options.

A question: for 3 years I've taken Vitamin C (1000 iu) with each iron dose (I take 150 mg./iron twice a day). It's worked incredibly well. The issue is my Ferritin is very high. I'm considering only taking the Vitamin C with one of those doses to try and lower the Ferritin. My concern is I've tried this before and gotten tired. My Ferritin is 540 and normal is 15-150. Any thoughts?

Is your iron within normal range? High ferritin can also be related to inflammation. My hemo always told me ferritin is not necessarily a reliable measure of anemia because it can be unstable. Have you considered that your fatigue might not be related to your ferritin/iron at all?

Is your iron within normal range? High ferritin can also be related to inflammation. My hemo always told me ferritin is not necessarily a reliable measure of anemia because it can be unstable. Have you considered that your fatigue might not be related to your ferritin/iron at all?
Yes, it's within normal range (see attached). I'm lucky. It always has been. I only added the Vit. C the Summer of 2017 as I was fatigued. I haven't been fatigued since then.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-02 085131.png
    Annotation 2020-03-02 085131.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 3
I would also suspect some other reason for your ferritin level. Arthritis, fighting an infection, long term irritation of some type.

Actually, the PTH may be a fluke. I’d just had a Reclast infusion a couple of weeks before and that can affect it.

Thank you. I think I’ll speak with a hematologist re: possible inflammation as I have no arthritis symptoms and my blood panel is fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back