Kim Bariatric Institute - Dr David Kim, Colleyville, TX

The aorta in the general area of the stomach is huge. About an inch in diameter. Biggest blood vessel in the body. No doctor should ever mistake it for something else. And it's not easy to accidentally 'nick' either. Big arteries are thick walled and tough. Spleen and liver? Friable tissue that's easy to 'nick'. The aorta? NEVER.

Maybe I can help the non-medical folks understand how grave this is. It's like taking your dog to the vet to be neutered. When you pick him up he is missing 2 testicles and one of his hind legs. You ask the vet what happened and he/she tells you they thought that leg was a third testicle.....

Great analogy! The liver, spleen etc. are like a fine silk scarf, and the aorta is like a rubber hose.

I'm still waiting to see what the shills have to say :-D.

@Diana, I don't know where I read that about changing dictation, but I did.

@Munchkin , that was a perfect analogy of how hard it is to "nick" the aorta. Human tissue is extremely tough (the skin is). Once you get inside, some organs are very fragile, like the liver and spleen. Some are tough as hell, like the heart and kidneys. But the aorta is freaking HUGE and very tough. It most certainly will be a slam-dunk of a court case. Huge settlement. Add on the weaseling maneuver of altering dictation? You've got a Plaintiff Lawyer's wet dream.

dr Kim should lose his license over this, and his "staff" that were there, too.
Pure negligence, 100%
His trolls - now they are saying he has done over 75 DSs and every surgery has to start somewhere. REALLY? this guy almost died and lost his legs and you are defending the moron?

I got a PM from another one of Dr. Kim's patients a few week/month ago - she went in for DS, came out with sleeve. His excuse, she had a fatty liver and a hiatal hernia and he could only do the sleeve portion. Come back later for the DS.....

<removing the person's name>
November 3, 2014

]<patient>
Just thought I would share with you I did only get the sleeve and not the DS with Dr Kim. From my first appt I talked about a hernia and actually showed them where it was located was assured it would not be a problem. Well on surgery day it was a problem and my fatty liver that had just gone through a 4 week liquid diet.

Leeayn Byrd
oh no :( how do you feel? so you went in for DS and came out with only the sleeve? Sleeve is a good surgery, though.

<Patient>
Was a problem also. He really made me feel like I was the fattest person that ever lived. Im going to work my sleeve tool to the best of my ability. I will not go through w DS part especially w Dr Kim
Yes ma'am went in for DS and only received sleeve.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, can someone break this down for me...

Is he too lazy to take the time to get around the "issues" he finds inside?
Or
Is he too insecure in his abilities to do the surgery if he sees it's not as easy as he thought?
Or
Does he REALLY not want to do any surgery open?
Or
Does he just want to get paid for the surgery and then paid again for the actual switch?

I know no one can say for sure, but what do y'all think? (OMG, did I just type y'all in a non-sarcastic way?!? ;) ) but yeah, from reading story after story about people leaving his OR with just the sleeve, it's seeming to me more like the latter of the 4 :(

So, can someone break this down for me...

Is he too lazy to take the time to get around the "issues" he finds inside?
Or
Is he too insecure in his abilities to do the surgery if he sees it's not as easy as he thought?
Or
Does he REALLY not want to do any surgery open?
Or
Does he just want to get paid for the surgery and then paid again for the actual switch?

I know no one can say for sure, but what do y'all think? (OMG, did I just type y'all in a non-sarcastic way?!? ;) ) but yeah, from reading story after story about people leaving his OR with just the sleeve, it's seeming to me more like the latter of the 4 :(

Or....more probably, option # 5, not listed...Just do the VSG part knowing youll never have to do the switch because the patients BMI will drop to low to re-qulify for unsurance to pay for it. Do 3-4 VSG's a day, compared to one DS, make a gazillion dollars blah, blah blah. I researched this guy as well as every other alleged DS surgeon in Texas and he is probably the King "Bait-and-No switcher. What a flippin Horrible thing to do to people! That has always been my biggest fear, even more so than dying during the surgery. Because of the advise I got from this site, I hope to have been sparred that. Time will tell I guess.

Or....more probably, option # 5, not listed...Just do the VSG part knowing youll never have to do the switch because the patients BMI will drop to low to re-qulify for unsurance to pay for it. Do 3-4 VSG's a day, compared to one DS, make a gazillion dollars blah, blah blah. I researched this guy as well as every other alleged DS surgeon in Texas and he is probably the King "Bait-and-No switcher. What a flippin Horrible thing to do to people! That has always been my biggest fear, even more so than dying during the surgery. Because of the advise I got from this site, I hope to have been sparred that. Time will tell I guess.
I was mor afraid of waking up with nothing than dying during surgery. The first surgeon I saw said if my liver was too fatty he'd sew me back up. I was PETRIFIED of going through the whole thing for nothing, plus the embarrassment of having to explain it to everyone. My ACTUAL surgeon said he'd go open if need be, that gave me more confidence in him. First thing I asked hubby once I was semi-coherent was if the surgery was complete!

<removing the person's name>
November 3, 2014
<patient>
Just thought I would share with you I did only get the sleeve and not the DS with Dr Kim. From my first appt I talked about a hernia and actually showed them where it was located was assured it would not be a problem. Well on surgery day it was a problem and my fatty liver that had just gone through a 4 week liquid diet.

Expand
Show Images
Leeayn Byrd
oh no :( how do you feel? so you went in for DS and came out with only the sleeve? Sleeve is a good surgery, though.
<Patient>
Was a problem also. He really made me feel like I was the fattest person that ever lived. Im going to work my sleeve tool to the best of my ability. I will not go through w DS part especially w Dr Kim
Yes ma'am went in for DS and only received sleeve.

Hey, I'd suggest editing your post, copying the text here and just pasting it as "plain text" - right now you can hover over the links you've edited to say "patient" and see the person's name, and I believe that will get picked up by search engines as well.

Latest posts

Back