Just joined!

bty89011

Hi everyone,
Open RNY April 2001; 269 pounds
lowest weight: 173 pounds (did not stabilize)
Current: 187 pounds

I never achieved the results people seem to have reached with the gastric sleeve.
I have been researching revision surgery. The overstitch or similar seems to be the only surgical option.
I found this website so I continue to research.

Hi everyone,
Open RNY April 2001; 269 pounds
lowest weight: 173 pounds (did not stabilize)
Current: 187 pounds

I never achieved the results people seem to have reached with the gastric sleeve.
I have been researching revision surgery. The overstitch or similar seems to be the only surgical option.
I found this website so I continue to research.
Welcome bty89011
You have more surgical options than you realize. One of these to consider the DS. But there is only a small handful of s competent enough surgeons to accomplish that revision.

Welcome!
Well first, if you think folks are doing better than you are with gastric sleeve, think again. The long term results are similar, "failures" (depending on how you define success) are frequent, and the sleeve is not as effective for the metabolic issues of obesity as gastric bypass, esp for type 2 diabetes.
Next, I would strongly recommend that you look at the results for the various stapling type revisions for gastric bypass, of which overstitch is one. I hadn't looked into this for a long time, but did when they first began, and what often happens is that there is some initial weight loss because the patient is on a liquid diet for several weeks, and after that, not much. I don't know specific results for overstitch, but I have no reason to assume that results with this specific devise are any different (I could, of course, be wrong, and as the potential patient it would behoove you to research this and ask LOTS of specific questions before proceeding). Also, last I knew, none of these endoscopic procedures were considered standard of care and I haven't heard of insurance covering them, and last I knew they cost about 10K. That could have changed, again a crucial question for you to nail down. It's possible that you could decide to revise to the DS, which can also be difficult to get covered by insurance depending on what insurance you have, and there is no point in wasting 10K on something that isn't likely to help you long term.
The appeal of the endoscopic procedures is that they are relatively low risk, pretty much available, and it sounds like such a simple solution. Revision to the DS is a big operation, may require travel depending on where you are, has substantial risk and is more expensive if you are the one paying for it. But there is no point in having any procedure that is unlikely to achieve what you want.

Hello and welcome!
There's a lot of information on this site and I hope you are open to learning about the option of converting to a DS.
It is a major surgery, but it provides good results. I say this as someone who had the VSG (sleeve) and that was enough, but I am an exception.
regardless of what you decide to do, please hang around and tell us about yourself and ask any questions you want.

ETA: I originally posted from my phone, on which for some reason I couldn't add an emoji:

:welcome2:

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! Like you, I never got to goal or even close to it with RNY. I’m undergoing a revision to a DS (should get my surgery date this week!), as I felt that was the best option for me and the research shows good long term results. This group has tons of great information and the forums have been incredibly helpful!

Latest posts

Back