Just asking

Two years after what? After surgery or after reaching normal weight?

I'm a week shy of two years after surgery, and I'm at my lowest weight.

honestly, I was still in my honeymoon period at 2 years post surgery so, yes, two years from what is a good question.

I heard that "gain back" is normal but seems like not for all. I can definitely eat . better and exercise more but I don't do too bad so I thought this gain back was inevitable. Based on your success, I think I am wrongggggg

Average numbers I've heard quoted has been about 10-20% of what you lost.
I reached my lowest weight at 15 months out, bounced back about 20-25 lbs depending on how many carbs you want to eliminate.
Then again, a friend is 17 years out and managed to finally reach normal BMI about 3 years ago cause she fixed her vitamin intake, cut gluten (she is sensitive) and limited her carbs.

My weight loss has had a lot of bouncing around:
- First 10 months 290 - 205. Stayed firmly there for ~ 3 years.
- 3.5 years to 5 years - drifted down to 170.
- Had one round of PS, had a horrible psych reaction to Reglan, ended up on antidepressants and bounced back to 205.
- Stayed there for a few years, then drifted back down.
- Early 2017 - drifted down to 165.
- Discovered Honey Smacks - 8 weeks later, back up to 175, which is where I currently sit, despite banning the cereal from the house. I'm 14.5 years out on Monday.

DianaCox
Just out of curiosity, before DS and during all the diets you probably did were you a good loser?
Did you always lose a lot of weight easily or was it always a slow process?

It was slow, hard and miserable. I lost 70 lbs twice, and 50 lbs another time (I was between 210-225 at the highest from age 18-44). Then between 45-50, my weight went up to over 290. I had my DS 12 days before I turned 50.

- Discovered Honey Smacks - 8 weeks later, back up to 175, which is where I currently sit, despite banning the cereal from the house.

Ok, I'm sorry you gained 10 pounds back and that you discovered Honey Smacks, but this is one of the funnest lines I've ever read.

I haven’t eaten a sugar cereal since I was a kid, and even then, only as a special treat when we went on trips and Mom bought the packs of assorted single serving boxes. I eat Rice Chex and Raisin Bran occasionally but that’s it. I go down the cereal aisle looking for a blue box or a purple box, and don’t look at anything else.

But my husband asked me to buy him some Life cereal and I don’t know what the box looks like, so I’m actually LOOKING at the boxes, and suddenly there it is - the Holy Grail of those assorted single boxes, that I would fight or bribe my siblings for - Honey Smacks! (actually, they used to be called Sugar Smacks when I was a kid, but I guess the word “sugar” became a Bozo-No-No sometime in the 70s or 80s). The artwork and red box were a flash from the past. I bought a box, since hell, I’d been losing weight for a few months without trying. 8 weeks and at least 15 boxes later ... oops.

The good news is, my wardrobe is far more suited to 175 lbs than 165 ...

Honey_Smacks.jpg

Now that Pepe the Frog mascot seems pretty creepy though.

These were essentially the same as Sugar Crisp cereal, which is the actual jingle I remember. “Can’t get enough of that Sugar Crisp ...” with Sugar Bear ...

Last edited:
Sugar content
In a 2008 comparison of the nutritional value of 27 cereals, U.S. magazine Consumer Reports found that both Honey Smacks and Post Cereals' Golden Crisp were the two brands with the highest sugar content, more than 50 percent (by weight), commenting "There is at least as much sugar in a serving of Kellogg's Honey Smacks [...] as there is in a glazed doughnut from Dunkin' Donuts". (The cereals are both sweetened puffed wheat.) Consumer Reports recommended parents choose cereal brands with better nutrition ratings for their children.”

DianaCox
Just out of curiosity, before DS and during all the diets you probably did were you a good loser?
I always lost prerty
DianaCox
No, I have never lost alot of weight quickly, always a slow process

I was always a good loser, losing quite a bit of weight at a time.
I was also quite a good gainer, obviously.
So I was wondering if it is the same after surgery if a person was a good, or bad, loser would they
be the same after DS?

Latest posts

Back