I've Been Successfully Switched!

annabellarose77

First, I just wanted to thank everyone for the well-wishes and condolences of the passing of my dad. The holidays were tough. I wanted to post on here that I had a surgery date and all, but things got crazy before we left Tennessee with dealing my dad's affairs and trying to get everything in order for us to leave. We decided to fly, my cousin is going over twice a day to check on my dogs, and my uncle who lives next door goes over daily as well. This surprised me because he's not much of an animal lover, but I think he's trying to step in where my father is gone. So far, everything is going ok back there. I missed the snow storm and cold front.

Dr. K. did my surgery on January 12th, and amazingly he didn't have to cut into my chest. Everything went well. There was a huge internal hernia he fixed, and I do mean huge. He said it had to have been growing for several years. So my guess is it occurred right after my gastric bypass surgery. When I kept telling Houston I was having pain on my right side, and he said it couldn't be a hernia or anything related to the surgery if the pain was on the right and not the left. WRONG! Dr. K. said the hernia started on the left, but had completely folded over my right bowel. No wonder I was having so many issues. Anyways, I have pictures he took for me as souvenirs. I have been out of the hospital and back at the hotel since last Wednesday, and mostly everything is going ok. I was having a lot of pain on my right side, turned out to be trapped fluid. He put something appearing to be a piece of latex glove and pushed it into my belly button for the fluid to drain, and put me on antibiotics just in case since I'm still running a low-grade fever. The pain is much more tolerable now, but the crap flowing out of that contraption is nasty and never-ending. That and the feeding tube are the only things I have now thankfully. I do have to admit that when I first woke up in my room after the surgery, the pain I felt made me wish I was dead. I'm just now getting over the hump of what the hell did I do to myself. Thankfully, I'm not having much nausea, but trapped gas is another story. I have been able to eat some foods, but I can only eat a few bites and then I feel this internal burping. I don't know what else to call it.

I will be glad when the pain is over and I can sleep on my side again. I've never had an open surgery, much less something this complex. I was wondering how long it normally takes to get to the point where you can walk around for awhile and not be in pain, or have to stop and sit down because you're tired out. I'm not wanting to run a marathan, but I would like to see some of California before we leave. Right now, I don't even want to go out of my room. I'm a pretty scary site.

Honestly, I am just so grateful to Dr. K....I am so grateful to have found this forum and gotten all the advice and facts that I did. Dr. K. has given me a fresh start at being healthy again. I have to start rebuilding my life, but having my health back makes that so much easier. What a blessing to have such a brilliant, warm, generous, compassionate surgeon. I will never take that for granted again.

Oh, this makes me so happy! It sounds like considering everything that you're doing well. Terrific news about avoiding the "chest thing". Must be so comforting to know that when a problem comes up you are listened to and it's fixed!

I know you were very worried about your doggies so I'm glad that situation is going well. Kudos to your uncle for stepping up. Hopefully they'll win him over and he'll fall in love while you're gone.

It will be a slow process to get your strength back so don't overdo. I do hope you are able to see a few things before going home. What is expected time left to be there?

Again, I can't tell you how good your post made me feel this morning. Thanks for checking in and please try to stay in touch!

In Tennessee too,
Susan

I'm so glad you finally had your surgery, and that, considering what was involved in fixing the mess you started with, it has gone very well. Just sip, walk and rest, and don't push yourself too hard.

I wouldn’t plan on (and then be disappointed about) seeing CA on this trip. You will not be able to. When you come back for a checkup would be the time for that - and you will have WAY more fun.

Thanks everyone! I had to see Dr. K. yesterday due to a clog in my feeding tube. He took out the other contraption he had put in the bottom of my incision, which I think I mistakenly said my belly button in my first post, sorry. He stuck several pieces of gauze in there and I was able to take it out today. So far, very little drainage now. Yay! My hydration is good because of the feeding tube, but I know I'd be having trouble without the tube. Drinking isn't hard, but I can only do a little at a time otherwise I get nauseous. So, I'm really glad to have my extra appendage. Dr. K. told me yesterday that I should be out on the beach and exploring the city, not to sit in the hotel room feeling sorry for myself. Honestly, I haven't been. I've been walking and doing little exercises, but the thought of going out to the beach with a leaky abdomen, abdominal binder, and such does not make me feel too comfortable. Plus, I can only walk about 5-7 feet before I want to fall over. @DianaCox you're probably right. We're staying here until February 13th, as long as nothing comes up. If I feel up to closer to time to leave, I'm going to try to make it to Santa Monica, but I'm not going to allow myself to feel bad if it doesn't happen. The most important thing was coming through this surgery successfully. And even though I get sick of TN, I really miss my dogs and being home. So honestly, the 13th can't get here soon enough for me.

Oh I thought you were going to only be there a week or so - hell yeah, you should be able to walk around Santa Monica! Once you start feeling better, it gets a LOT better each day. But spring for paying for parking on the pier - the walk up the hill would probably be too much, but after 10-14 days, you should be able to walk a bit, sit a bit, get up and walk some more. I went back to work on day 20, and I was 50 when I had my DS.

Latest posts

Back