It's over for me

FloridaJen

The Curious One
Well, friends, my dream of having the DS (or any WLS) is over. Maybe for now, maybe forever. I have accepted a new job offer and they do not have bariatric coverage. This has been the single-most difficult decision of my life, but I couldn't turn down this position in the hopes of getting appeal overturned. I received a second denial that added an additional reason for denial (prior band bullshit) and I have not received any hopefull feedback from HR, who is speaking with our 3rd party administrator. It's truly insane how difficult they make this, especially when I have bariatric coverage. I'm SO over it and this place right now. I cannot get out of here fast enough. So I will need to find another course for now and then maybe consider self-pay if I can save up some money for it.

DianaCox Larra I cannot thank you both enough for your help with my appeal. I could never have dreamed to even have a fighting chance if it weren't for your help. The timing sucks for all of this, but my job is killing me more than obesity is so I have to make this change and hope that it will somehow work out for me to get the DS some day.

Love and peace,
Jen

You did what was best for you. I’m sorry you are having to forgo bariatric surgery. And maybe, next year, the company will change its mind. Stranger things have happened.

Congratulations on your new job! :) So sorry you won't have the right coverage now. Hoping you can save up for self-pay or a better plan will be available for 2021. In the meantime, I'm so happy you have a new position.

Sometimes we have to make hard decisions. I wish you all the best in your new job, and will only advise you not to ever give up hope. If self-pay is, for now, your only option, do whatever you can to save up an then be open to going to Mexico, where there is a very reputable DS surgeon (Dr. Ungson or Dr. Esquerra) at what others have reported to be a good hospital. It really is an option. But in the meantime, do what you need to do for your life as a whole.

I don't know how old you are, but remember, it is almost never too late, so long as the surgeon deems you will survive the surgery

Sure it sucks to wait...but even as a geezer ( speaking personally), it's good to get back into some kind of shape

Good luck in the new work

G

Thank you all. I am turning 45 in a couple of months, so I’m no spring chicken when you factor in all of my obesity related diseases. It’s so unnerving to feel like your life is in the hands of insurance.

Thank you all. I am turning 45 in a couple of months, so I’m no spring chicken when you factor in all of my obesity related diseases. It’s so unnerving to feel like your life is in the hands of insurance.
Start saving, take a loan, whatever it takes and the minute you’re able, go to Dr. Ungston/Dr. Esquerra in Mexico! You’re right you should not spend much more of your life fighting obesity. You’ve got some time though, many of us didn’t make the ripple until older than you. 58 for me! I wish I’d been able to do it sooner though. Approximately $11,000 for a DS isn’t bad, and it’s doable. I have a Southwest Airlines rapid rewards credit card from Chase which I use to pay all monthly bills with, groceries, ins. Premiums, etc to gain points and I pay balance off each month so no interest charged. I bought my airfare to and from San Diego with points on SW as well as my sister’s trip, who accompanied me.
I wish you much happiness in the new job and I urge you to keep moving forward and working toward DS surgery.

This will work out for the best. “Why?” you ask. Well, you now have time to settle in at the new job…and you won’t be learning the job AND taking time off for surgery at the same time.

Also, you…and JackieOnLine because she like to know this stuff…there are A GAZILLION “side hustles”/“side gigs” you can investigate and try to make a few bucks for your surgery-self-pay-if-necessary piggy bank.

Meanwhile…keto? My husband’s keto meals are high in protein, low in carbs and pretty much what my bariatric surgeon, GI doctor and urologist want me to eat.

I would add Dr Wilhelmy at Mexicali Bariatric to the surgeon names upstream. I paid $10 or $11K for a virgin DS, at age 40, using a withdrawal from my retirement account. Consider a part time side hustle if you can, save up gifts, rewards points, sell some family heirlooms, make your own coffee and meals at home and you might just surprise yourself with a decent chunk of cash.

Last edited:
I started the process about 3-4 years ago and between insurance and the surgeon's office staff saying Medicare wouldn't cover my surgery I had no choice but to wait. I HATED the whole situation and it was so frustrating to hear from them that despite two insurances none would cover it. That was wrong info and I knew it but after speaking to a few staff there I let it go because nothing was working.

I went back this spring with the idea of self paying and it was a breeze! The other shoe never dropped. I'm 44 and there's time for you too. So while it may feel like it's a step back perhaps it's just a pause. And a new job that isn't killing you will also add to your life span and quality of life.

This will work out for the best. “Why?” you ask. Well, you now have time to settle in at the new job…and you won’t be learning the job AND taking time off for surgery at the same time.

Also, you…and JackieOnLine because she like to know this stuff…there are A GAZILLION “side hustles”/“side gigs” you can investigate and try to make a few bucks for your surgery-self-pay-if-necessary piggy bank.

Meanwhile…keto? My husband’s keto meals are high in protein, low in carbs and pretty much what my bariatric surgeon, GI doctor and urologist want me to eat.

I thought about keto, again, but I'm also looking into another macro plan. Ugh

Self-pay just isn't something I really want to do, especially going to Mx. I did that for my band and it was a disaster (not the surgery but getting anyone to help me following it) and I've had nothing but turned up noses ever since. I'm also about $22K in debt, not counting my mortgage, car and student loans. It's just not likely in the cards for me and I can't be left with a surgery like that and insurance that won't cover me if something does go wrong.

Latest posts

Back