It’s been awhile but I need a protein shake recommendation

Jen-2

I’m 4.5 years out from my DS surgery and it’s been about 4 years since I’ve tasted a protein shake. I need to boost my protein for 2 surgeries I’m having in the next two weeks and my lab work shows my protein has dropped to 5.7 gm/dL (6.4-8.9 is standard range). Can anyone recommend a chocolate protein powder that doesn’t have a funky aftertaste? Or a flavorless powder I can add to liquids? Also should I add one or two shakes a day to get my protein back within range and to boost things to help w healing after my surgeries? Thanks for the help.

If you like coffee, I love the ready made Premier protein shakes. I get them for a great deal at Sam's club. I do a cold brew 8oz coffee and dump in the shake and well, shake it. A friend of mine adds Stevie as well but I like it without.

Like Southernlady said Injury are really good, I've done a few different ones from them plus they even have a sample pack you can order to try them.

If you are open to trying one that comes in liquid, i.e. not powder, you could try the Pure Protein shakes. I buy them at Trader Joes, but I believe they are also available (by the case) on Amazon. The chocolate flavor is, let's say, not bad, which is about the best you can expect, and I haven't noticed any weird aftertaste. I mix in a little milk and for some reason that seems to improve the flavor quite a bit. I haven't tried the vanilla but I've been told it's not good. There are two strengths, the one I use has 35 grams of protein, the other has less, so read the label.
It's more expensive than using powder, but to me it's worth it. I don't use them all the time, but if I know it's going to be a busy day, I'll have one for breakfast. Works for me.

Your protein level quite low. If it were me, I would drink 3 per day now and until you are fully recovered from your surgeries. I am almost 3 years post-op and I drink 1-2 protein drinks per day just to maintain a normal protein level.

We are all so different when it comes to flavors. I cannot stand the Unjury chicken soup or Pure Protein tastes! The Unjury chocolate and vanilla are good, and I am also a fan of Premier Protein pre-mixed, but they do sell it in powder form also. I also like the Jay Robb protein powers (they use stevia as the sweetener) and the Jay Robb egg protein powder is not too bad. You can also doctor up the flavor of any of these with peanut butter powder or crystal light.

Settledownnow is right, different people like, or at least tolerate, different protein products, so there is a lot of trial and error involved. Keep trying different products and hopefully you will soon find something that at least meets the threshold of tolerability.

The other possibility is bone broth chicken soup, I get mine from amazon. I spice it up with chicken "I can't believe it's not..."

As to shakes, I do a chocolate premier protein for breakfast. At the crack of dawn, it's too much effort to mix a shake. You can get them at drugstores, but half the price from Amazon

Thanks all! I’m drinking a ready made chocolate premier protein shake right now and it’s not bad. It’s very sweet but no bad aftertaste. Maybe this could be my dessert each night. I’m going to order some of the other recommendations to try too.

Larra there is some vitamin E in the shake. I’m not supposed to take vit E before surgery next Wednesday to cut down on bleeding. Do you think the amount it contains will be a problem? (It says vit E 25% - daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet. The shake has 160 calories.) Seems like all the shakes I’m finding have some vit E in them.

I also drink Premier Protein and like it. I keep them for when I need a grab to go with me drink. I ordered some IsoPure 100% whey protein unflavored powder and use it a lot at home for breakfast. I usually mix it with Fairlife chocolate milk in a shaker cup I bought along with 3 or 4 ice cubes. It’s good and no clumps whatsoever!

Thanks all! I’m drinking a ready made chocolate premier protein shake right now and it’s not bad. It’s very sweet but no bad aftertaste. Maybe this could be my dessert each night. I’m going to order some of the other recommendations to try too.

Larra there is some vitamin E in the shake. I’m not supposed to take vit E before surgery next Wednesday to cut down on bleeding. Do you think the amount it contains will be a problem? (It says vit E 25% - daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet. The shake has 160 calories.) Seems like all the shakes I’m finding have some vit E in them.

I am not Laura, but the Premier Protein shake supplements are "complete" drink with about the equivalent of a multivit supplement. Did your surgeon tell you to d/c your multi's? This seems like a question for your surgeon. The whey protein drinks do not typically have anything added (sometimes potassium, I've noticed) so it would be better to go that route as your surgery date approaches.

As an aside, you are never going to get your protein to normal by next Wednesday. It took me 3 months to go from borderline into the normal range drinking 1-2 protein shakes daily, plus 90-100 gram of food protein. Does the surgeon understand that you malabsorb protein? If it were me, and the surgery was elective, I would reschedule. I say this based on people the number of DS people who have had low protein and had skin removal surgery and did not heal properly and had complications (per their FB and forum postings).

I don't know if that amount would be too much for impending surgery. Keep in mind that you will never your Vitamin E intake to nothing unless you starve yourself, which would obviously be a very bad idea. Good question for your surgeon (who may not know any more than we do!)
Is this surgery elective? Protein is necessary for wound healing, but on the surface and internally, so if it's something you can put off until your protein levels are normal, that may be best. (again a great point by Settledownnow )

And I forgot to point out that you will only absorb a fraction of whatever vitamin E is in your protein shake and/or food, since it's a fat soluble vitamin and we malabsorb fat. So, that makes it harder for anyone to tell you if the E in a given product is too much or not. It is estimated (and there is some actual data) that we absorb about 20% of the fat we consume, but there is variance from person to person, so how much of that E you will absorb is unknown, but certainly less than 100% of whatever is present.

I use Premier protein chocolate shakes for consuming alone. They aren't wonderful but they are tolerable (I have tried a crapton of other brands/flavors that I have really had to work at choking down). With my morning coffee I use Carnivor Beef protein isolate powder. I mix it with Heavy Whipping Cream (about a cup-cup and a half) and about a tablespoon of fair life whole milk in a NutriBullet blender then add it to a large coffee (I have a 32 oz "trucker cup"). The whole milk makes it pour and clean up easier. Doesn't require any additional sweetener (beyond what's in the powder).

The other possibility is bone broth chicken soup, I get mine from amazon. I spice it up with chicken "I can't believe it's not..."

As to shakes, I do a chocolate premier protein for breakfast. At the crack of dawn, it's too much effort to mix a shake. You can get them at drugstores, but half the price from Amazon

Last I checked, bone broth is almost completely collagen protein.

Latest posts

Back