Is there a direct relation between protein consumed and weight lost?

Manapan

I noticed a trend recently. I looked back at my logs of nutrients and my weight charts and it seemed to hold up. On days I'm only able to make 80 grams of protein or less (I know. I try but there are still days I can't keep food down.), my weight remains constant or will go up a pound. Days I make 100 grams of protein or more, my weight decreases 1-2 pounds by the next day.

Is this typical? If so, I'm feeling rather dumb for not noticing it for three months!

When you are brand new the problem is not being able to eat enough and for us that means protein. It makes perfect sense when you eat correctly you will lose more.

Later on, years down the road, you will probably find you don't need that much anymore. You can afford to cut back a bit. I aim for 80 to 100 at 15 years out. But of course you will be in trouble if you replace the protein with carbs!

Best method to see if you are getting enough protein is your protein lab level. As a DS'er it needs to be above 7 but still in normal range. I didn't get to that level til the last 2 years.

It's improving. It was low before surgery and it's low normal at my most recent bloodwork. I definitely need more.

Latest posts

Back