Iron & Vit. A

aaa

I seem to be a odd DSer. I used to take 50,000 units of Vit. A per day. Now I take 25,000 units six times a year.

I also have great Iron labs except for Ferritin which is sky high and has been for too long. I'm with a hematologist now and we're lowering my Iron to see if it helps as I'm not absorbing all of it and it's just swimming around there. I'm concerned bc I know when I've taken less Iron or without Vit. C I've been exhausted. So I have to call her next week and let her know if I'm too tired without it. I'm also having a liver MRI to ensure the excess hasn't been collecting in my liver. Odd.

aaa A while back DianaCox posted something about how inflammation can interfere with ferritin numbers. Maybe it would be good to get a CRP test?

Hopefully this link will get you to that post: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/...y-lab-gurus-am-i-out-of-line.5651/#post-84587

Hope you feel better soon!
I remember that post and I spoke to the hematologist about it but I just looked over my labs and it doesn't appear as if it was done. I messaged her to see about it and/or whether the liver MRI would show inflammation or what? Thanks. Oh, and I feel fine. It's just the Ferritin number that's upsetting everyone.

Last edited:
I canceled my MRI for today. I decided I'd rather see my new Ferritin numbers first.

The hematologist had suggested dropping down to 1 Iron per day. Within a week I had terrible insomnia and leg aches. So I went back to 2 per day but dropped the Vitamin C altogether that I had taken with the iron. The reason I did that was bc I went back over my labs and the Ferritin numbers since 2016. My numbers were normal until I began taking the Vitamin C with the Iron in 2017. Then they increased every blood draw. I'm thinking that dropping the Vitamin C might bring them back to normal. I'll see her again after I've done about a month without Vitamin C and see if my Ferritin has come down.

Latest posts

Back