Intro post

ukcats

Hi all. I'm CJ from KY. I'm 50 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I'm now 5'1" and weigh 250 lbs. I have type 2 diabetes and am on insulin. I have sleep apnea and my blood pressure has been creeping up. I've tried to lose weight and was only successful in getting it off once. I didn't keep it off. I weighed 300 lbs then got down to 150 lbs. I can't even do the exercise that I did then to help me lose weight. My knees and hips are shot. I'm in constant pain.

I recently heard from a friend about DS and it intrigued me. I had thought about surgery before, but heard so many stories that scared me. Plus more than half gained the weight back and I know that would be me. I don't eat only when I'm hungry and I don't stop when I'm full. I'm an overeater. I'm not content until I'm stuffed. That's what really made me think that DS could be right for me. Now I just need to finish my research and find a doctor. There are a couple of bariatric surgery centers close to me, but not list DS. It's all gastric bypass/gastric sleeves and that balloon thing. None of those appeal to me, so I'll probably have to travel a bit for the consultation. I'm cautiously optimistic.

:thumbsdown:Welcome CJ! I’m so glad you decided to check us out, you can find everything you need to know here. I know you are the type of person who would be responsible about taking required vitamins so I felt okay suggesting DS to you. Please read, read, read and ask anything because this is so important and you need to be very informed and educated so you can find a great surgeon! There is a list of vetted surgeons here and if I was really up on things I’d put the link here, but you know me, CJ, that’s not my forte.

I’ve never been happier with myself than I am since having my surgery and you and I are similar body shapes and height.

There is a vast wealth of knowledge here among the members, fantastic folks! Again, I’m so glad you are investigating!

Susan

:thumbsdown:Welcome CJ! I’m so glad you decided to check us out, you can find everything you need to know here. I know you are the type of person who would be responsible about taking required vitamins so I felt okay suggesting DS to you. Please read, read, read and ask anything because this is so important and you need to be very informed and educated so you can find a great surgeon! There is a list of vetted surgeons here and if I was really up on things I’d put the link here, but you know me, CJ, that’s not my forte.

I’ve never been happier with myself than I am since having my surgery and you and I are similar body shapes and height.

There is a vast wealth of knowledge here among the members, fantastic folks! Again, I’m so glad you are investigating!

Susan

You are an inspiration!

I've been trying to find the file that lists doctors that will do DS surgery. Could someone point me in the right direction. So far everyone has said no. I'm looking in Louisville, KY, but I think I'm going to have to travel. I searched the internet and found this doctor. He's a couple of hours away. It doesn't list DS in the paragraph about him, but it's listed on the left under "performs".

Dr. Trace Curry

Admin edited link. We don’t allow links to them as they don’t allow links to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to find the file that lists doctors that will do DS surgery. Could someone point me in the right direction. So far everyone has said no. I'm looking in Louisville, KY, but I think I'm going to have to travel. I searched the internet and found this doctor. He's a couple of hours away. It doesn't list DS in the paragraph about him, but it's listed on the left under "performs".
We don’t look there as anyone there can say whatever they want under their profile.
We have a list here, vetted by operative reports or known DS surgeons: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1efDOtUslTHGTdgZYnznnGSPxvdfoHfCkgZagwSmgcQg/mobilebasic

Louisville means Dr. Inman is probably closest.

Is Dr. Curry the one in Cincinnati? If so, his website says it’s the SIPS procedure which they claim is a modified DS. It is not a DS but it is more like a DS than a RNY as it has a sleeve. We hope ONE DAY that it replaces the RNY.

Yeah I found that too. Oh well. Carmel only adds another hour to get there and I have family in Indianapolis, so I would have someone to stay with until I felt up to coming home.

Hi and welcome ukcats! I love my DS and it does have the best long term results, but please know it will not solve for "head hunger", so if you are a chronic overeater, you will still likely need to work on that with a therapist. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Hi and welcome ukcats! I love my DS and it does have the best long term results, but please know it will not solve for "head hunger", so if you are a chronic overeater, you will still likely need to work on that with a therapist. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Thank you. I'm probably a chronic overeater, so I guess I'll be looking for a therapist too. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back