Insurance Medicare

Jerry

Im looking for a company that is favorable to weight loss surgery,Im in Indiana.Thanks for any Ideas. Jerry

Medicare will cover weight loss surgery if you meet the criteria. 40 or above or 35-40 with comorbids.
Medicare Advantage plans follow Medicare rules.
Medicare Supplements follow Medicare rules.
Medicare only covers the lapband, the VSG, the RNY, and our favorite here, the DS.

Which state isn’t an issue with Medicare.

Medicare will cover weight loss surgery if you meet the criteria. 40 or above or 35-40 with comorbids.
Medicare only covers the lapband, the VSG, the RNY, and our favorite here, the DS.

Liz, you are MY Medicare expert and I don’t know Jerry’s “particulars,” but your very thorough response here made me wonder about the “intersection” of Medicare and some surgeons’ rules...specifically age.

The majority of Medicare folks are old farts, like me. And many surgeons put upper-end age limits on bariatric surgery patients. Does Medicare have any age limits, or do they just go along with the surgeon?

Liz, you are MY Medicare expert and I don’t know Jerry’s “particulars,” but your very thorough response here made me wonder about the “intersection” of Medicare and some surgeons’ rules...specifically age.

The majority of Medicare folks are old farts, like me. And many surgeons put upper-end age limits on bariatric surgery patients. Does Medicare have any age limits, or do they just go along with the surgeon?
No they have no limits. There ONLY limits are BMI and previous attempts to get rid of the weight and failing.

Altho I can understand having age limits from the surgeons but that is up to them.

Thanks For info,it gives me some good hope

Re age limits... my understanding is that the weight loss that comes with bariatric surgery leads to longer life, even for the elderly, that's why medicare will approve it

The only "rule" is that you be healthy enough to survive the surgery, the surgeon determines that with the pre op exams

Latest posts

Back