Insurance ASIDE FROM the actual surgery...

Spiky Bugger

My PCP is quite good about ordering my labs, and it was my annual Wellness Exam.

She, my PCP, ordered a total of 14 tests.
My hematologist, who is NOT with the same group, ordered four tests. All of his were included on her order, except that her CMP 14 added eGFR and his did not.

I see him re my iron numbers later this week.

I say, “Can we just do this off her order and cc him?”
Lab says, “No problem.”
They hand me the warning that it might cost me $660+. I have really good insurance and nothing at the lab ever costs me $660. It never even costs me $6.60.
Hmmm.

I ask WHICH labs won’t be covered.
They tell me that the Ferritin, Iron and TIBC and something else...magnesium maybe(?)...weren’t covered.
So, because this ain’t my first rodeo, I checked. She included the TESTS I needed, but probably because she doesn’t treat me for those conditions, she did not include the Diagnosis Codes for osteoporosis and anemia. It would cost me $660+.

My PCP wasn’t in today to okay the addition by phone. Options?
1–Get it all done today and pay $660.
2–Reschedule the hematology appt, until I can get the PCP to add those codes to her order.
3–Do a two part thing today...two separate draws and then fight with insurance about why they have to pay twice for venipuncture and, maybe, two quite similar CMP tests...although I could decline that one test.
4–Do the hematologist’s tests today (I need these results ASAP.) Come back later for the remaining testing.

I opted for #4.

But, be careful with diagnosis codes!

A missing number could cost you HUNDREDS of dollars.

On more than one occasion, in the past, I’ve had lazy staff people write the code for “Routine” testing and tests would have cost me a bunch.

Last edited:
But, be careful with diagnosis codes!

A missing number could cost you HUNDREDS of dollars.

On more than one occasion, in the past, I’ve had lazy staff people write the code for “Routine” testing and tests would have cost me a bunch.
Apparently when writing up dh's lab orders this last time, our PCP got lazy (and he uses a preprogrammed file) . We've always gotten the "Medicare may not cover this test" speech with an OFFER to put a CC on file. We've always declined that offer. And until THIS LAST SET, have never had any issue. DH was presented with a bill...many hundreds of dollars!

Ah, yes, having the codes for the test. Another reason I'm happy to be retired: I was asked to obtain the proper diagnosis codes to re-submit after the test was denied. Big time fraud all because the hospital did not give patients the notice that it may not be covered and the patient would have to pay for it. But being a for-profit hospital, it was written off as a loss for tax purposes. Like I'm gong to jail or pay massive fines for a corporation that didn't give a s*#@ for the employees as long as the stock holders were happy.

Ah, yes, having the codes for the test. Another reason I'm happy to be retired: I was asked to obtain the proper diagnosis codes to re-submit after the test was denied. Big time fraud all because the hospital did not give patients the notice that it may not be covered and the patient would have to pay for it. But being a for-profit hospital, it was written off as a loss for tax purposes. Like I'm gong to jail or pay massive fines for a corporation that didn't give a s*#@ for the employees as long as the stock holders were happy.

Yes...and on the opposing team, we have non-profit hospitals owned by one of the wealthiest organizations on the planet, which call themselves “Dignity.”

Except...they won’t discuss pregnancy termination with you...even if ectopic...even if it will kill you...and they are not very good about providing palliative care to dying patients if the pain relief might hasten death...even if they are terminal and in horrid, excruciating pain...so...yeah...DIGNITY.

See, even if you’re having your THIRD baby via c-section, and want your “tubes tied” during the same procedure...no...we don’t allow that:

https://www.latimes.com/business/hi...ering-with-medical-care-20160108-column.html#

Yep. I worked for a Catholic hospital that held the contract for Kaiser patients. As in, if one goes to another hospital, it's out of network and the patient is responsible. The women who desired post-delivery sterilization were taken across the street for the procedure. I don't know if they were transported by ambulance or just taken there in a wheelchair, but still pretty infuriating.

It has taken two years, but I have discovered the source of the problem.

My PCP was part of “Health Care Partners,“ which was purchased a couple of years ago by the detestable outfit known as OPTUM.

Since that time, I have had providers constantly warning me that my ”insurance won’t cover that.” That keeps happening because…are you ready?…the stationery on which my PCP writes and faxes the orders has a big OPTUM logo on the top of the page and once the staff at various facilities sees that word, they don’t even TRY to enter the info from my insurance card, and ASSUME that I have an OPTUM HMO policy. I do not.

This has happened with blood tests (why I started this thread almost two years ago), xrays, and even a mammogram on Monday of this week.

So…if you are told that your insurance does not cover what you think it should, make sure that the clerks actually ENTER your claim.

this "health" "care" system is SO totally crap! :mad:

but I'm glad you figured out what the probem was.

Latest posts

Back