Instant Pot?

Spiky Bugger

I just ordered an 11-function Instant Pot. I’m planning on putting my pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker and air fryer in my storage room because this is SUPPOSED TO do all those things. That will mean we can keep it on the counter, so less bending over to get those different appliances out of a lower cabinet. (Our backs think it’s a good idea.)

Anybody got one of these fancy things? I don’t usually buy stuff before Christmas, but I didn’t think I’d get much better price. Our current pressure cooker is 6 quarts and this looked too big…but if I want to cook a whole chicken or something…besides, as “frugal” (read “cheap”) as I am, I noticed that the 6 qt wasn’t on sale, so its price was higher.

Whaddaya think?

Last edited:
it looks very nice!

I hope it works great and instead of clogging up your storage room, maybe you can get rid of all the appliances it replaces. I've never used any of them but when I have a kitchen of my own again I'm going to start!

I didn’t have an actual Instant Pot. I had a multifunction instant pot by Fagor. It worked great on the few functions I bothered using it for. But apparently the cats did me in. I got into the house, plugged it in, and blew a breaker. The plug ended up in my hand no longer attached to the appliance. So I threw it away. It did last almost 6 years. I replaced it with a standard crockpot. And went to making rice in the oven. https://www.bensoriginal.com/faq-contact
OVEN
Combine rice, HOT water, and if desired, salt and butter or margarine in a shallow tray. Stir. Cover and bake in a 400°F oven until most of the water is absorbed (about 30 minutes in a conventional oven or 25 minutes in a convection oven). Remove from oven and keep warm (160°F).
I actually prefer my old fashioned stove top rice cooker, but it’s still in storage.I inherited it from my mother. It also doubles as a bun warmer.

I've got one.. I use it all the time.. mostly for chicken vegetable soup.

In the beginning I had lots of fun ( sad huh ) cooking different batches of dried beans in 30min, with no pre soak, The key to tasty beans is to start with a Mirepoix (carrot, celery, onions) in a chicken broth. I just leave the vegetables in and eat it all

I make a mean turkey Chilli and African peanut stew, with it too. My most ambitious try was a southwest France dish called cassoulet , it came out pretty good.

I still use my microwave rice cooker. I only make a cup, and it's too much trouble to set up the instapot.

Depending on the food, you may get a burn notice in pressure cooker mode. Lentils, e.g., cook a lot faster than red beans, Just take off the top and use the sauté function to cook at ordinary pressure. That, or add liquid

Because of the burn notice I often make the soup or stew a little thinner at first, than thicken afterwards (with rice or some other grain)

Last edited:
I've got one.. I use it all the time.. mostly for chicken vegetable soup.

In the beginning I had lots of fun ( sad huh ) cooking different batches of dried beans in 30min, with no pre soak, The key to tasty beans is to start with a Mirepoix (carrot, celery, onions) in a chicken broth. I just leave the vegetables in and eat it all

I make a mean turkey Chilli and African peanut stew, with it too. My most ambitious try was a southwest France dish called cassoulet , it came out pretty good.

I still use my microwave rice cooker. I only make a cup, and it's too much trouble to set up the instapot.

Depending on the food, you may get a burn notice in pressure cooker mode. Lentils, e.g., cook a lot faster than red beans, Just take off the top and use the sauté function to cook at ordinary pressure. That, or add liquid

Because of the burn notice I often make the soup or stew a little thinner at first, than thicken afterwards (with rice or some other grain)
I tend to make soup/chili in my cast iron Dutch Oven on the top of my stove.

Re burn notice on thick chilli

I found a trick... just before the pot pops, and you can't open it, open the top and stir things up from the bottom with a wood spatula. This stir breaks up anything that's settled, and helps to avoid the burn notice

Latest posts

Back