IBS, supplement cost and building muscle

FloridaJen

The Curious One
#1 I have seen a lot of conflicting information on this topic and wondering what the consensus is here.
IBS contraindicated for DS? Anyone here have it before? What’s the result after?

#2 Can you estimate how much you spend on supplements (on average) monthly or annually? I’ve seen from $500-$5000 annually!

#3 I like to weight train and have been wondering if it is more challenging to build muscle after DS?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
#1 I’ll let Larra answer that one. But while I was never officially diagnosed with IBS, I had the symptoms, now I don’t.
#2 that answer is, it depends. Depends on what your labs say you need, depends on finding deals, watching prices (especially price per dose). If you aren’t an Amazon Prime Member, you should be. This household has twice the requirements as both my husband and I are DSers.
#3 Not if you don’t lose it. But for about 8-10 weeks, muscle work has to wait til you are healed. Problem is for many of us, we lose it and then have to start over.

Well, I would say it's not a contraindication. I have no personal experience with that one, but over the years I've seen posts from people who even said their IBS improved after their DS. For most of us, issues with diarrhea are related to diet. If people stick with high protein and low carb, most (not all!) seem to do well. However, I've seen a few people struggle with diarrhea no matter how careful they are. I can't explain why, but as best I can recall it wasn't related to having IBS before their DS.
Also, while we talk about being able to eat fat freely, too much fat has to go somewhere, so... but that is again diet related, not IBS related.

Well, I would say it's not a contraindication. I have no personal experience with that one, but over the years I've seen posts from people who even said their IBS improved after their DS. For most of us, issues with diarrhea are related to diet. If people stick with high protein and low carb, most (not all!) seem to do well. However, I've seen a few people struggle with diarrhea no matter how careful they are. I can't explain why, but as best I can recall it wasn't related to having IBS before their DS.
Also, while we talk about being able to eat fat freely, too much fat has to go somewhere, so... but that is again diet related, not IBS related.

I’ve seen a lot of that too, but then several bariatric sites say otherwise. Thanks!

#1 I’ll let Larra answer that one. But while I was never officially diagnosed with IBS, I had the symptoms, now I don’t.
#2 that answer is, it depends. Depends on what your labs say you need, depends on finding deals, watching prices (especially price per dose). If you aren’t an Amazon Prime Member, you should be. This household has twice the requirements as both my husband and I are DSers.
#3 Not if you don’t lose it. But for about 8-10 weeks, muscle work has to wait til you are healed. Problem is for many of us, we lose it and then have to start over.

Good info, thanks! (And I have been a prime member forever, buy all my supplements there now)

Supplements, in the $500 to 600 range per year. I buy on Amazon and Puritan. Occasionally locally if they have some kind of a great sale.

I think it's a challenge for WOMEN to build muscle. The DS didn't make it any worse or better than it already was. When I was heavy I LOOKED muscular but unfortunately quite a bit of what I thought was muscle was fat. A 300lb woman will always have more muscle than a 150lb woman. You are moving around 300lbs all day long. When I was heavy, I looked like a fat bodybuilder. Now I look more like a runner with muscle definition. I will never have abs or decent arms. That would require plastic surgery. But I have definition in my legs.

One of my worst OMG you are really fat moments happened one night at a bar with a friend. Her EX walked up to us and said casually that ha had been afraid to approach us because he thought my friend, his EX, was dating a football player(me). Rude and mean, yes. But it was also true.

Supplements, in the $500 to 600 range per year. I buy on Amazon and Puritan. Occasionally locally if they have some kind of a great sale.

I think it's a challenge for WOMEN to build muscle. The DS didn't make it any worse or better than it already was. When I was heavy I LOOKED muscular but unfortunately quite a bit of what I thought was muscle was fat. A 300lb woman will always have more muscle than a 150lb woman. You are moving around 300lbs all day long. When I was heavy, I looked like a fat bodybuilder. Now I look more like a runner with muscle definition. I will never have abs or decent arms. That would require plastic surgery. But I have definition in my legs.

One of my worst OMG you are really fat moments happened one night at a bar with a friend. Her EX walked up to us and said casually that ha had been afraid to approach us because he thought my friend, his EX, was dating a football player(me). Rude and mean, yes. But it was also true.

Wow! Whenever I've done any real structured weight loss plan it's always involved weight training, so I know that protein is an important component. I also know the feeling of being muscular and fat!

Latest posts

Back