I scared a radiologist today

Update: basically, my swallow study was OK. I had one incident of “flash penetration” meaning some of the stuff started to go down the wrong way, but I cleared it easily. It’s common in older people (!). I have a small hiatal hernia (which I already knew about an upper endoscopy a couple of years ago. So I just follow up with the GI doc as usual.

He asked me what bothered me the most (an interesting question), and I said that once I started coughing, it took a while to stop, because it set off my nose running and post-nasal drip. He suggested that I actively try to stop coughing after initially clearing my throat when stuff goes down the wrong way, because most people still have the sensation that something is in their trachea after the stuff is gone, and further coughing does nothing but irritate the area. ENTs call it something like fishbone syndrome - the vast majority of the time that people scratch their throats from swallowing a fishbone, and they end up at the ENT CERTAIN there is still a fishbone caught in their throat, there is nothing there - the sensation lasts for quite a while.
Most fish bones are very sharp. They can cut or cause an abrasion on the throat on their way down, even if they do not get stuck. In these cases, it may feel as though the bone is stuck in the throat, when in reality, it has already passed through the esophagus toward the stomach.
So I need to learn to stop coughing when I have almost certainly already cleared my throat of anything I might have mis-swallowed. A PSA for anyone who might also sometimes swallow the wrong way.

* I keep trying to fix this, but it keeps saying something went wrong and it won’t let me fix it:

I have a small hiatal hernia (which I already knew about from an upper endoscopy a couple of years ago).

Latest posts

Back