I scared a radiologist today

DianaCox

Bad Cop
For the last several years, with increasing frequency (like 2-3 times/week now), at random times when eating or drinking, or sometimes just swallowing my spit, it goes down the wrong way and I choke and cough for a while. Mostly just annoying, but last year, my son-in-law’s grandmother who lived near here aspirated some food, got pneumonia and died. So I though I should get it looked at.

I saw an ENT doc a couple of weeks ago (he stuck a camera up my nose and down my throat with just some numbing spray - AACCKK!), and didn’t see much, so he sent me for a swallow study, which I had today.

So, while it was kind of gross (first eating and drinking barium-infused stuff of various consistencies while the process was viewed under fluoroscopy, then drinking two thicknesses of barium shakes on an X-ray machine - I was very proud of myself and my strong gag reflex and weak stomach that I didn’t barf), the radiologist got alarmed by how quickly the barium got down to my colon (or nearby), until I explained that my alimentary tract is only about 250 cm. Then she got even more confused by what she saw - barium refluxing antegrade up the biliopancreatic limb. I had to pull out my DS cartoon from Dr. Rabkin to explain my construction. Then she got an “Oh, I get it!” expression, and reported that I have a side to side anastomosis. I couldn’t tell what she was seeing, except that my peristaltic activity was fast.

Probably just reflux. I will NOT stop drinking coffee, however! Or anything else on the “don’t eat” list, which was pretty much everything I eat.

It wasn’t as awful as I was afraid it would be. Now my poop is white however.

Last edited:
You are very calm if you can handle an up the nose and down the throat camera with only numbing spray. That would cause me to panic. Also barium shakes - ugh - I've had a few "banana"-flavored ones in my day and they're terrible! Glad it's over and hope they can figure out what is causing the choking/coughing, so that it can be resolved.

Probably just reflux. I will NOT stop drinking coffee, however! Or anything else on the “don’t eat” list, which was pretty much everything I eat.

I hear that - I do NOT want to stop drinking coffee, even it it's only once a week.

I hope they figure out what's wrong (if anything) and so glad you had visual aids to explain your anatomy!

Jesus. I do the same thing, choke on my spit. My mom had mini strokes that went unnoticed by all but me, until she finally had a swallow study. So that kinda scares me, except I have nerve damage from an adult tonsilectomy (sp), so I chalk up the choking to that.

In any event, I am as likely to let anyone stick a tube up my nose or down my throat as I am to let anybody do a colonoscopy on me. Not happening. My anxiety at the thought makes me dizzy.

Do you have anything that is causing you to breathe through your mouth more? I have constant inflamation in my sinuses, and having to take an occasional breath through your mouth when eating is dangerous. My dad broke some bones in his face and something in the palate healed differently which caused him to occasionally breathe through his mouth, and he was asperating all the time. I hope you figure it out, without needing more barium, yuck.

Sheanie - you’re sedated or asleep for the colonoscopy - the prep is much worse than the actual procedure. Git ‘er done! It’s important!

I was surprised that the tube up the nose wasn’t as awful as I thought it would be - it wasn’t fun but I’ve had flu shots that caused more discomfort. And I gag brushing my back teeth or hearing someone barf, so the swallow tests were not terrible either.

I always breathe through my mouth when I’m asleep, but not when I’m awake. I’ll have to pay attention to whether I’m doing it while eating and drinking.

Sheanie - you’re sedated or asleep for the colonoscopy - the prep is much worse than the actual procedure. Git ‘er done! It’s important!

I was surprised that the tube up the nose wasn’t as awful as I thought it would be - it wasn’t fun but I’ve had flu shots that caused more discomfort. And I gag brushing my back teeth or hearing someone barf, so the swallow tests were not terrible either.
Still a no-go for this sphincter. Its all about responsibility, risks and consequences, and personal choice. Its definitely a gamble I will take. No cancer anywhere in my roots.

It definitely wasn’t fun, but it wasn’t as awful as I had feared, in case anyone else has to go through it.

For me, the worst part of procedures like this is the fasting and accompanying diarrhea and no-caffeine headache. I stopped and had coffee and breakfast at the cafeteria before I left. Am I the only person who LIKES hospital cafeteria food?

Latest posts

Back