I really need your help

Very true, i like the way u explained it, i'll take the positive side of it n consider it as a good tool to not eat unhealthy food
but does that mean i am not gonna enjoy occasionally a piece of chocolate cake again?!

I don't ENJOY it...unless it is a gluten-free (without wheat flour) cake. It would make me miserable.

Last family gathering, I ate the frosting, not the cake!

I can eat chocolate cheesecake, if I don't eat the crust.

You seriously need to see psych because that is a big time disorder and no surgery will fix your head. You need that under control BEFORE surgery so you don't hurt yourself

Yea i agree with u, i already spoke with the nurse she will transfer me to a psychologist, he is a part of a barbaric team in the hospital but it's gonna be after the surgery not before..

I don't ENJOY it...unless it is a gluten-free (without wheat flour) cake. It would make me miserable.

Last family gathering, I ate the frosting, not the cake!

I can eat chocolate cheesecake, if I don't eat the crust.
with no reason i started having problem with gluten, i have never had that problem before

If you eat like that after surgery at best you'll throw up, at worst you'll tear up your stomach. I can't imagine not having that under control 1st and think the doctors office is doing you a disservice by not addressing it immediately. I would have never passed the psych eval

If you eat like that after surgery at best you'll throw up, at worst you'll tear up your stomach. I can't imagine not having that under control 1st and think the doctors office is doing you a disservice by not addressing it immediately. I would have never passed the psych eval
yea it's been always a problem for me.. i am sure it's not gonna happen after surgery especially the first 3-4 months.. the fear to tear up my stomach will stop me from doing that...

You seriously need to see psych because that is a big time disorder and no surgery will fix your head. You need that under control BEFORE surgery so you don't hurt yourself

Not sure I agree with that. I tend to think it's biological. If an alcoholic has booze in the house, he or she might drink it before bed. Over eating is biologically based too. It's millions of years of evolution that makes some people want to binge eat. Remember when we were hunter and gathers, we might have found food once every few days and it was an advantage to binge.

Read about your hunger hormones. You might have more than others.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/your-hunger-hormones#1

It's not some deep psy problems. It's biological

I am kind of person, if i buy some food that really like it, i can't go to sleep before i eat it all no matter what. will the surgery help me to control this habit or do i have to seek a help with a nutritionist or psychologist.. controlling food portions n cravings were always an issue for me so that i had to stop preparing food for a week cuz i ended up eating it in 1 or 2 meals.. is there something i can do that can help?
This is going to need therapy with a psychologist or psychiatrist. You need to figure out why you have the compulsion to do that. Once you figure out the why then you can work on fixing it. But do this before surgery. All the surgery will do is limit how much you eat AT FIRST. But even DSers can outeat a DS.

My youngest half sister is a binger. It traces back to being put on a diet by my over achieving step mother (her mom), in an effort to keep her weight down at a very early age and punished for not complying. When she first moved away and was able to eat what she wanted when she wanted, she did til it was all gone or she got sick, usually til it was all gone. It was nothing for her to eat a half gallon of ice cream at one sitting.

But you need to find out what causes that compulsion to eat beyond a normal portion. I suspect, as many of us are who’ve been thru the diet mills, you know what a normal portion is. Most restaurants in the US far exceed a normal portion in their servings. But the American public would not accept TRUE portions! After all, the all you can eat buffet didn’t happen for no reason.

Not everyone who is morbidly obese has food issues just as not everyone who has food issues is morbidly obese. But the morbidly obese seem to have a higher incidence of food related behaviors.

Mine was portion control within a meal. That and a love of carbs. I still love carbs. Portion control is now a habit. But it took a long time and concentrated effort to get portion control. My biggest help is asking myself, is my stomach hungry or am I just bored? If I’m bored and still wanting to graze, I grab something like cheese. No crackers, just cheese.

Start now with trying to control portions. If you find yourself overeating, ask yourself this “I’m eating because ......” and fill in the blank. If it’s cause you are truly hungry, then go ahead. But if your answer is cause it tastes good...remember this, it will still taste good later. If it’s something cooked, learn to make less. But get outself help as well.

Why does everyone think this is psychological and not physiologically driven? Obesity is a physically driven. Before a group of anonymous people diagnose some deep psychological disorder on the internet, Adam, I would talk to a really good doctor who understands weight issues as well as a psychologist and really understand what this issue is.

Personally, I think most of these weight issues have to do with Genes and Biology as oppose to some deep psychological problems. For example, weight issues run in families do you think all the people in the family have deep problems or bag genes?

I, personally, think for many people it's a mixture of the two. One feeds the other, (pun intended)!

But back to your theory, galaxygrrl, so, remember when you were debating over taking the job at Facebook I think it was, and you were hesitant due to the fact the work campus would have constant food available and that worried you. Would you say that was biological or psychological or combo? Not being argumentive , just discussing, as it's a subject I've often pondered.

Susan

I, personally, think for many people it's a mixture of the two. One feeds the other, (pun intended)!

But back to your theory, galaxygrrl, so, remember when you were debating over taking the job at Facebook I think it was, and you were hesitant due to the fact the work campus would have constant food available and that worried you. Would you say that was biological or psychological or combo? Not being argumentive , just discussing, as it's a subject I've often pondered.

Susan

Happy to discuss and well worth the discussion.

I think it's 90% Physical and not mental. I reject the Psychological Argument. I think that is a bunch of BS by Skinny doctors and researchers who did not understand the science of fat and the science and thinking is finally evolving.

I have a drive to eat, I think about food all the time. I take Phentermine and the drive goes away. Period. That is biological. Right after surgery, that drive when away. Surgery cuts out the area of the tummy that makes Ghrelin the hunger hormone. Now there are about 400 hormones that drive hunger, etc and that is why they have not been able to find a pill that works for everyone. And what the science says is the weight issue is different for different people. I don't binge, I just want to eat all the time, other people binge and are good at other times. We are still learning the science.

Why do you think Phen-Phen worked so well. It's because it's better living through chemistry.

I have a lot to say on and lots of facts and studies to share on this, not psychobabble this and will post more later. Need to run to meeting.

Love this topic and up for a discussion. As overweight people, we have been beat up by society and a lack of scientific understanding for centuries. We face fatism from our family, co-workers, etc. It's horrible and it's a disease and not our fault.

I don't like booze, I don't drink. I don't understand why people need to drink and think about booze the whole day. While Fat issues are not quite the same, the underlying biology that drives them both are similar.

Let the data and the science speak!

Last edited:
I once asked Rabkin about this, to provide advice to someone else (my issues were more clearly biological - I rarely felt physically satiated, often had a drive to eat when I shouldn't have been hungry, didn't necessarily have sugar cravings, NEVER binged, but usually overate by 25-50%, etc.), and his response was that there were definitely psychological factors in some morbidly obese people that needed treatment/counseling, but that the counseling was usually more effective AFTER surgery, when the physiological drive was removed. Then, you're "just" breaking bad habits and relearning eating patterns/behaviors, not fighting a powerful biological craving too.

After 15 years, it STILL astounds me that I can be mindlessly eating (while watching TV, on the computer), and lift a forkful of food to my mouth and suddenly realize "I've had enough, and that next bite will be too much." And I can stop, just like that. Now the odds are, I will pick up the fork again in 15-30 min if there is still food on my plate, but the point is, I have SATIETY now, and still do. And I still don't have much of a sweet tooth. (Last night, a while after having dinner with adequate protein, I got an urge for applesauce for dessert, which I like to eat by sprinkling with cinnamon sugar and then pouring a bunch of whole milk in the bowl. I prepared a bowl with about 1-1/3 cups of applesauce (by eyeball - it was more than a cup), and about 2/3 cup of milk. I got halfway through the bowl, and realized I'd had enough. I put the bowl in the fridge. That would NEVER have happened pre-op.)

One thing that has recently occurred in my extremely fit and trim (former marathon runner, avid squash player and health food / fitness fanatic) octogenarian father's journey with Alzheimer's is that suddenly he has unstoppable hunger.

I think it's a combination of loss of short term memory and an inability to feel full. For some reason, moments after eating a full meal (or two or three) he no longer feels satiated or remembers he has eaten. He eats multiple meals in one sitting and angrily demands more if we ask him to stop. Literally, he acts as if he is starving, even when his stomach is overstuffed with food at Thanksgiving plus levels that would make most feel ill...

Turns out, this is not uncommon in Alzheimer's.

This convinces me more than ever there is really a huge brain component to hunger and satiety.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4617167/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4534398/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084499/

Hey all, I'm so slammed. I wont be able to get to this topic for a few days. I might start a new thread. I think the topic of Psy vs. Biological is a worthy topic for discussion.

This issue didnt happen regularly, it happened only when i was dieting n trying to control my portion, so i ate very little
This is going to need therapy with a psychologist or psychiatrist. You need to figure out why you have the compulsion to do that. Once you figure out the why then you can work on fixing it. But do this before surgery. All the surgery will do is limit how much you eat AT FIRST. But even DSers can outeat a DS.

My youngest half sister is a binger. It traces back to being put on a diet by my over achieving step mother (her mom), in an effort to keep her weight down at a very early age and punished for not complying. When she first moved away and was able to eat what she wanted when she wanted, she did til it was all gone or she got sick, usually til it was all gone. It was nothing for her to eat a half gallon of ice cream at one sitting.

But you need to find out what causes that compulsion to eat beyond a normal portion. I suspect, as many of us are who’ve been thru the diet mills, you know what a normal portion is. Most restaurants in the US far exceed a normal portion in their servings. But the American public would not accept TRUE portions! After all, the all you can eat buffet didn’t happen for no reason.

Not everyone who is morbidly obese has food issues just as not everyone who has food issues is morbidly obese. But the morbidly obese seem to have a higher incidence of food related behaviors.

Mine was portion control within a meal. That and a love of carbs. I still love carbs. Portion control is now a habit. But it took a long time and concentrated effort to get portion control. My biggest help is asking myself, is my stomach hungry or am I just bored? If I’m bored and still wanting to graze, I grab something like cheese. No crackers, just cheese.

Start now with trying to control portions. If you find yourself overeating, ask yourself this “I’m eating because ......” and fill in the blank. If it’s cause you are truly hungry, then go ahead. But if your answer is cause it tastes good...remember this, it will still taste good later. If it’s something cooked, learn to make less. But get outself help as well.

I did that only when:
1- i was on diet, i tried to follow the diet plan during the day but i ended up eating everything at night n spoiled the whole diet.. i really could eat too much because i was so hungry
2- i decided to start dieting the next day so i ate everything in the fridge to avoid binging while i am dieting
3- i bought 2 chocolate bars for instance, i was never able to leave one of them for next day.. i should eat them before going to bed

Why does everyone think this is psychological and not physiologically driven? Obesity is a physically driven. Before a group of anonymous people diagnose some deep psychological disorder on the internet, Adam, I would talk to a really good doctor who understands weight issues as well as a psychologist and really understand what this issue is.

Personally, I think most of these weight issues have to do with Genes and Biology as oppose to some deep psychological problems. For example, weight issues run in families do you think all the people in the family have deep problems or bag genes?

No i dont think we have this problem in my family, they r completely normal, sometimes i feel like i have that because of my bad childhood, my dad n mum got separated immediately after i was born n no one of them wanted to take me so i grew up in different houses where eating was an issue for me.. i was too shy to eat n feel full but after i became independent n started working my relation with food was so weird, i noticed that i ate too much n too fast , maybe i was afraid to not have food anymore like before.. and it has continued till now

Latest posts

Back