I did it!! Post op, day 1 at home

Re protein: you can only do what you can do. Work up to it. You don't want to be forcing yourself to the point that you start to dread food/shakes. And with the greatest respect, the dietitian probably hasn't lived through this; you are. The advice is probably well-meaning, but for many people just post-op, completely unachievable.

My first day back at school was kind of a wash, overall. I woke up feeling less than great, and for whatever reason, did not have my usual morning BM.

I'm in cosmetology school, so basically, I spend an hour in the morning learning theory, and then take clients for the rest of the day. Of course, the two weeks I missed were the weeks when we began to cover anatomy and physiology, so that's what I was thrown into this morning. Luckily, I'm a somewhat sharp tack, and remember a good bit from sophomore biology. I think the truly exhausting part was having 30 people come up to me, individually, and play twenty questions. How are you feeling, how much have you lost, what can you eat...they mean well, but I'd rather be left alone. Although just about everyone said they could see the weight loss in my face. I confess, I spent most of the day looking at myself in the mirror--my face and neck both look much slimmer, and my skin is looking down right radiant.

I was lucky that I did not have to take any clients today. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could have handled it. I was nauseous all day. It could be because I am slowly starting vitamins, or because of my period, or really who knows. But I just felt bad. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better, because I'm sure I'll have at least one or two clients. When I got home, I was exhausted. And still nauseous. Tried to take a nap, but no luck. Whatever my sister is making for dinner makes me want to gag. I finally broke down and took a zofran, so I'm hoping that helps.

Oh! I did get my numbers from my surgeon. We agreed on a cc of 125 before my surgery, but he never really went over stomach size. He used a 34 bougie, but in his words, he doesn't do them very tightly so it's more like a 36-38, which I'm pleased with. Now if only it would settle down!

Add the iron last. That's the 1 that makes people sick the most! And if something makes you ill, back off for a few days and try again.

Add the iron last. That's the 1 that makes people sick the most! And if something makes you ill, back off for a few days and try again.

I actually was only taking my multi. I'm not sure if that was the cause or not. Going to try it again this week and see how I feel!

So, today marks 3 weeks since my surgery. Last week was pretty rough, overall. I only made it to 2.5 days of school. I was having a lot of trouble getting fluids in, and therefore feeling crappy. Lots of nausea, and constipation.

This is what I've learned so far! It is very difficult to both drink 64 oz and the majority of my protein. That was my problem earlier this week. However, it's fairly easy for me to eat 30 grams of protein a day. So that's kind of what I've switched to. Today is the first day that I'm feeling pretty good, finally. Hopefully it keeps getting getter and better.

My only complaints so far are pretty minor. The incision from which my stomach was removed hurts like hell. It's getting better, but now it's more of a burning sensation, which is new but annoying. And, every time I need to have a BM, my stomach cramps are TERRIBLE. I'm hoping that will get better as my intestines heal up a bit more.

Latest posts

Back