I’m new

Renewme

Hello I’m new here and just starting to research what kind of surgery to have moving forward. Looking forward to learning from you all here.

Can you share your BMI, it might influence the response.

FWIIW, if it's over 50 DS is the best way to go

If it's just over 30, other choices might work

Me, I'd go with DS, especially if you have a comorbidity, like T2 diabetes to resolve

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Me and husband in the same boat. We even got the lapband together, worked better for him than me. He lost 100 pounds…I lost maybe 30 but exercised a lot. At my age now(68) I cant exercise like I used to especially with added weight. How do I check….last time when I measured around my waist I’m thinking 40 but not sure really. Thanks Geirgepds, that’s helpful as far as deciding which surgery. I started packing on the pounds when I couldn’t exercise like I used to without injuring myself. I can’t even make myself get on the scale I’m so embarrassed but reality hits when I try to fit in my clothes. I’m on a complete change as I’ve given up alcohol and cigarettes(now 1mg nicorette lozenge) I haven’t been able to give up yet. It seems your body lets you know what it can’t tolerate anymore. Just like when I let other unhealthy things I did I needed to find something else to fill that void. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Most of us on here are Team DS.

How to figure your BMI, find a BMI Calculator online, put in your height and weight and it will tell you.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Me and husband in the same boat. We even got the lapband together, worked better for him than me. He lost 100 pounds…I lost maybe 30 but exercised a lot. At my age now(68) I cant exercise like I used to especially with added weight. .....

FWIIW... age is not, necessarily, a problem. I got my DS at 68. Medicare,if you've got it, will cover most of the cost

OTOH, the lap band might be, sometimes they leave scars. Speaking roughly, the lap band is perpendicular to the path of food in the stomach, the VSG ( first part of DS ) reduces the stomach by stapling a line in the "direction" of food path.

There are many people who successfully revised from lap band to DS. You might find their comments in the revision section of weight loss forums.

Finally, good for you trying to do something about it. It's hard enough going into your early old age (70s), without having to haul around all the extra weight

It's subtle, but stairs standing and walking are all a whole lot easier at the lighter weight.

Last edited:
I have been reading and reading on here and other forums to get familiar with WLS again. It’s been a long time since I had my lapband…probably 10 plus years not sure. But from what I understand if you have acid reflux it probably be better to have the gastric bypass instead of sleeve…probably find out when I have my appointment on the 14th next month. But what I was wondering since I still have that band they will take it out and then a later date to do the WLS? I can see why I need the surgery….I’ve been in denial a long time and kept making excuses. No wonder I hate taking pictures.

But from what I understand if you have acid reflux it probably be better to have the gastric bypass instead of sleeve…probably find out when I have my appointment on the 14th next month.
That’s what the surgeon’s will tell you. But there are RNYers with GERD. I know of two right off hand in our FB group.

I was told the same thing but I also required NSAIDS daily. When I asked my first surgeon about that, he said just take opioids. I fired the asshat. Long story short, ended up with asshats partner who was willing to do my DS. I could medicate my GERD and did successfully til 18 months ago when I developed a hiatal hernia. But I required NSAIDs still. And the DS allowed me to do that.

You chose what you feel you think is best for you. Ask for a larger sleeve if necessary.

Do what’s right for you. But one thing I can tell you is the sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach. MOST people need the smaller stomach plus malabsorbtion to be successful in getting the weight off and keeping it off. With a standard proximal RNY or the Loop/SADI most of the malabsorbtion is gone by the 2 year mark because your body adapts to the shorter gut. One surgery has already failed you so think carefully!!!!

Re "Do what’s right for you. But one thing I can tell you is the sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach."

Well, Maybe not completely true for everyone, though I get the drift: Eat Less weigh less. I'm 4 years out from the VSG part of the DS,and I still have to leave food on my plate. Restaurant portions are way to big

In the 40+ obese years prior to the VSG, that was never once a problem. Now, if I eat past saition, I sneeze ( has something to do with pressure on the Vagus neve when the smaller stomach fills)

That said, DS is the way to go for the malabsorption

Thanks for the input….so much to think about. I’ll keep researching. I thought I found away to get rid of this gerd
there are a lot of variables, that's for sure, and like several people said you have to figure out what's best for you.

I am a regular here (well, try to be) and might be the only one who doesn't have a DS: I just got the VSG and that worked for me.

do you feel like talking about WHY the band didn't work for you when it sounds like it did for your husband?

keep in mind, all of us here recognize the band is not a good surgery generally, but I've heard various things from people who had it - like they literally couldn't eat healthy foods such as salad but "slider" foods like cookies and ice cream went down fine.

often "restriction only" surgery doesn't work for someone whose metabolism is sub-par, wrecked from years of dieting perhaps.

so, as a general rule the more we know about your experience with the band the better advice we can give.

Latest posts

Back