Hysterectomy - Anything I should be aware of?

Stefanie S.

Good morning! DSer here. Just got scheduled for a total hysterectomy for July 26. Anything I should make sure the surgeon knows? I asked her if she was familiar with DS. She said no.

Thanks so much!

While mine was pre-DS, the guts should not be a factor in having a hysterectomy. Just give her a copy of what a DS looks like.

Your biggest issue will be getting food, esp protein and fat after especially if staying in the hospital. If scheduled to stay overnight, get with the head dietitian and just tell them you have surgically induced short gut syndrome. They all seem to get that even if the DS is foreign to them.

Also join this site: https://www.hystersisters.com/

Make SURE your iron/ferritin is good and high before you have surgery. Not just low normal.

Oh, and you should also be aware that, after surgery, you will not be able to get pregnant. :D

Diana - you made me laugh! Thank you both. So, a laparoscopic surgery would be just fine? I wasn't sure if they should be cutting anywhere in my abdomen....

Diana - you made me laugh! Thank you both. So, a laparoscopic surgery would be just fine? I wasn't sure if they should be cutting anywhere in my abdomen....
They will but much lower. More like right below the belly button. The DS is the small intestine. The hysterectomy is much, much lower.

Keep your ovaries, unless they are problematic.
True, unless you find out like I did after my hysterectomy that my ovaries should have been removed. My Mother took a drug to help avoid a miscarriage that has a much higher complication of ovarian cancer in the children treated.

DES or diethylstilbesterol. I have one ovary, having lost one at age 22 to a ruptured/infected ovarian cyst. Every time I've had abdominal surgery since then, I ask them to take a look at it and remove if anything looks at all hinky, since I'm not using it anymore. The abdominoplasty did not go there, however. Also, every time they do an X-ray, MRI, U/S of my abdomen, calcifications that are probably from old fibroids in my uterus show up - just in case, if a surgeon is ever in the neighborhood again, pluck it out too! I don't want anything in there that isn't doing anything other than potentially being a cancer home.

Latest posts

Back