How can I know if the doctor offers the real DS, or the 'enhanced' one?

BookWormMamma

I've been reading, and I just want to know what to expect, or what words should I pay attention to in order to find out whether the doc will suggest the real deal, or the SADI, SADI-S, SIPS, etc they mention in the website dsfacts :)

Thanks! :)

Ask him how many anastomoses will be in the final result - the "new" procedures have a single anastomosis.

But there is MORE you need to ask:
  • How many anastomoses?
  • What size do you cut the stomach?
  • Do you use the Hess method for determining limb lengths or a fixed length?
  • How long do you make the common channel?
  • How long do you make the entire alimentary limb, including the common channel?

Thanks Diana! And what exactly should I expect as an answer to those questions? Or do you have a link to somewhere I can read the explanation of the revision to DS? Thanks a lot again! :)

Thanks Diana! And what exactly should I expect as an answer to those questions? Or do you have a link to somewhere I can read the explanation of the revision to DS? Thanks a lot again! :)
Using Diana's list:

• How many anastomoses? TWO should be the correct answer. One is the SADI et al.
  • What size do you cut the stomach? That varies some but 75-80% of the stomach should be removed.
  • Do you use the Hess method for determining limb lengths or a fixed length? This is very telling. They won't use the Hess method for the SADI et al. And while standard common channels of 100 or 125 are pretty normal, the Hess method gives the absolute best results.
  • How long do you make the common channel? Under 150 is normal for the DS...250 and higher is a tip off to the SADI. Mine is 175 but I am a lightweight.
  • How long do you make the entire alimentary limb, including the common channel? That is part of the Hess method...and until (s)he gets in there to actual measure, (s)he won't be able to answer in cm but can answer in percenages.

Biggest issue is HOW do you construct the sleeve. The answer is: I will recreate the entire stomach using the remnant left from creating the pouch. Then I will create the sleeve from the entire stomach. (maybe not using those exact words but that is the correct idea)

If that is not the answer you get, something is fishy.

Latest posts

Back