High triglycerides anyone?

Marquis Mark

Just got my cholesterol screening back. The Dr said my triglycerides are high, even for a non-fasting test.

My triglycerides are higher now than before I had the DS. Although my other numbers are improved.

Is this normal for the DS? If not, what should I be expecting?

Component results
COMPONENT YOUR VALUE STANDARD RANGE
CHOLESTEROL 139 mg/dL <=199 mg/dL
HDL 36 mg/dL >=40 mg/dL
LDL 81 mg/dL <=99 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE, NONFASTING 245 mg/dL <=149 mg/dL
CHOLESTEROL, NON-HDL 103 mg/dL mg/dL

Try fish oil and niacin. Cut back on alcohol and exercise more.

High tri is not usual with the DS. It can be genetic. It can mean nothing and your next test may be normal. Worst case scenario it can mean liver or pancreas problems. But don't jump on the bandwagon. Try the easy stuff first.

Try fish oil and niacin. Cut back on alcohol and exercise more.

High tri is not usual with the DS. It can be genetic. It can mean nothing and your next test may be normal. Worst case scenario it can mean liver or pancreas problems. But don't jump on the bandwagon. Try the easy stuff first.

Thanks. Odd because Im not a drinker at all, take fish oil and walk 15 miles a week!

maybe I'll ask for a niacin test...

What did you eat for your last meal before doing that draw? We tend to eat butter with butter on the side. You might want to recheck TGs when fasting.

I want everybody to fast. I shouldn't have to suffer alone. Tomorrow is the yearly vampire draw. I haven't started fasting yet and I'm already grumpy about it.

Besides diabetes and pancreatitis, other causes of elevated triglyceride levels are:
  • hypothyroidism, which is caused by a deficient thyroid gland
  • liver or kidney disease
  • regular alcohol use
  • a variety of genetic cholesterol disorders
  • some autoimmune diseases
  • certain medications
  • pregnancy
I assume it's safe to eliminate diabetes, right? That just leaves the other 8 things, plus a meal of buttered butter.

TAKE niacin... You don't need to be tested. It's a water soluble B. Get the non-flushing kind. Any test you have done would only be a snapshot in time.

I’ve been waiting for him to confirm that pregnancy can be ruled out ...

Sitting at the lab, fasted and hangry, waiting for my yearly blood draw. My PCP after two tries still didn’t get my bloodwork order done right. Left off ceruloplasmin, TSH and T4. Pisses me off - I WROTE the damned order for him and he argued with me, claimed he rewrote for the missing labs, and is now out of town. At least the missing labs don’t require fasting.

Thanks for all the advice, ladies.

My liver, kidney and thyroid tests are all good. Don't take any meds besides Advair disk (asthma) and the Urocit SR. Weird food cravings, but not pregnant. Can't imagine it's genetic because I've never had numbers like this before and no one else in my family is above mildly elevated. I definitely eat a lot more fat since the DS, just weird how the other cholesterol numbers went down after surgery but the TGs went up.

So that leaves pancreatitis or the bacon wrapped butter stick I had for breakfast. Think I'll just ask for a fasting one next time. Until then I'll add some niacin and not worry too much about this one.

Latest posts

Back