high pth and vitamin d deficiency

Georgepds

Here is a result on high pth and vitamin d deficiency among the RNY

"CONCLUSIONS: Vitamin D deficiency and secondary hyperparathyroidism after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) were confirmed in our study because 65 % of patients had vitamin D deficiency, and 69 % had increased PTH levels more than 10 years after surgery."

"The only factor found to predict vitamin D deficiency was high preoperative body mass index (BMI) (p = 0.008), whereas gender, age, time after surgery and BMI at follow-up did not."

It appears only high initial bmi predicts d deficiency

Anyone know if the same is true for ds ?

Anyone with ds have vitamin d deficiency years after the surgery?

It appears only high initial bmi predicts d deficiency

Anyone know if the same is true for ds ?

Anyone with ds have vitamin d deficiency years after the surgery?
While I didn’t have a high BMI defined by those of us who’ve had bariatric surgery, my D was in the toilet as far back as 2007. My weight had not fluctuated by more than 10-15 lbs off 200 after I lost a fair amount caused by meds in 2001. I floated between 190-210 from 2003 to the day of my surgery in 2011.

In 2007, they tested my D and it didn’t even register. I spent the next three and a half years trying to raise it by conventional methods, aka the damned prescription oil based soft gel.

At over 8.5 plus years out, I can easily descend into the toilet with my D if I stop taking my dry D3 50,000. I’m not at 10 years yet but closing in on it. My BMI remains right between 24.8 and 25.5 depending on which week it is.

I suspect the lousy vitamin advice most bariatric patients get long term has much to do with those results.

I am going to be 6 years out in October. My D is always in the toilet especially if I don't get a shot from dr. K

I am going to be 6 years out in October. My D is always in the toilet especially if I don't get a shot from dr. K

Are they available again?

The source, in Puerto Rico, was wiped out...and, for a while at least, those were not available.

I know he had told me. Im not sure so im going to check in to it mext week so i can make the trip.

So, there’s Dr Norman...who wrote/writes extensively about this stuff.

You should, if you have time, read the whole damned site. But, if you’re a regular human...(I’m going to try to link to a previous post, but I’ll try), you may only have time for some info:

https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/hang-on-to-your-parathyroid-gland-at-least-for-a-while.176/

Does it work?
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT INFORMATION. I'M NEW TO THIS SITE.. MY PTH IS 149 AND MY CALCIUM IS 8.9. I HAVE A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT TOMORROW.

Latest posts

Back