Hiccups & Foamy Vomite

imacraven

I am three days post-op and, quite honestly, struggling. I have the hiccups more often than not which is very uncomfortable and I have been very nauseous. Now I am vomiting foam regularly. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? Will it go away?

The foam is the natural mucous in your throat as well as saliva. How is your fluid intake? Dehydration can cause nausea. Are you taking a PPI? Wait, aren't you still in the hospital?

I am three days post-op and, quite honestly, struggling. I have the hiccups more often than not which is very uncomfortable and I have been very nauseous. Now I am vomiting foam regularly. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? Will it go away?
I'm almost 4 wks post and no I have not experienced this. Hiccups I've read are common but we don't want you wretching on a newly cut stomach so you need to address this. Firstly do you have nexium like med ordered? Cause you need that if you don't. Are you getting fluids down? Try a chewable Tum or something too.

If you're still in the hospital, don't take any medicine that the doctor has not approved. And if you're still in the hospital, tell them you are struggling and need some relief.

If you are home, just push liquids. As for the hiccups, I haven;t heard of this.

Sorry you are suffering. YES it will all go away.

Oh, you're still in the hospital?? If you are they will take care of you. If not then I can tell you that hiccups are common after anesthesia. And with gastric surgery sub phrenic irritation and gastric distention also compounds hiccups. Im an ICU nurse but I'm advanced practice in neonatal so it's been a while for grown folks nursing. We do need to have treated anything that may be causing you to retch though. I do hope you're feeling better though. Please keep us posted and I'm available if needed.

If in the hospital. let them help you.

If at home, hiccups mean you are eating/drinking TOO fast or TOO MUCH. Take sips, not gulps and stop about two sips before you are now.

Full signals include hiccups/runny nose/sneezing (this one is mine) and very early on, the foamies.

What @southernlady said...and let your surgeon know if you don't improve. Don't let this persist to where you get dehydrated, that will just make you much more miserable and generate a trip to the ER.

I got the foamies for a few months post op. It was not all the time, just once in a while especially, if I had eaten too fast. Sometimes though, they would come on for absolutely no reason at all. You are just starting to heal. I am so sorry that this has to be part of it for you. If it gets any worse, I would call my doctor. There may be something that can be done to help you. Please, let us know.

I got the foamies for a few months post op. It was not all the time
I've only had the foamies twice since surgery.
Once I was JUST started on regular food and just ate too fast...
The second time, I do not know why it happened. But I was about 3 years out.

I got the foamies long before my DS..it was my signal to get TO the bathroom cause vomiting was GONNA follow. But the two times since the DS. I didn't vomit.

Thank you all for the feedback! Sorry for whinning. I am/was just barely home from the hospital. I am only guessing but wondering if the relentless hiccups were a pain response? I was given a dose of liquid Lortab at about 6 pm which I almost immediately regurgitated. I did not take anything for pain again until, a little over, 24 hrs. later at home I took a regular dose of Tylenol.
I have now been home for about 24 hours and things seem to be much more controllable. Hick ups are all but gone phonies still come and go and seem to be worse if I'm drinking anything with aspartame or artificial sweeteners. Has anyone else ran into this issue or is it just because everything is so new?

Thank you all for the feedback! Sorry for whinning. I am/was just barely home from the hospital. I am only guessing but wondering if the relentless hiccups were a pain response? I was given a dose of liquid Lortab at about 6 pm which I almost immediately regurgitated. I did not take anything for pain again until, a little over, 24 hrs. later at home I took a regular dose of Tylenol.
I have now been home for about 24 hours and things seem to be much more controllable. Hick ups are all but gone phonies still come and go and seem to be worse if I'm drinking anything with aspartame or artificial sweeteners. Has anyone else ran into this issue or is it just because everything is so new?
Well I'm glad you're feeling better. Step in the right direction. Baby steps ahead!!!

You aren't whining.

I never really had foamies or hiccups but I get a runny nose when full. It is a sign many of us get and if I eat through it, well let's just say it is a bad move because it means that next bite and what I had before it, will be coming back up.

Hand in there and focus on staying hydrated. The other things will get better as your torn up stomach and guts recover.

I wouldn't be drinking stuff with artificial sweeteners yet. Maybe I'm in the minority but all I drank was water and protein drinks (which probably have sweeteners lol oops) at that stage.

Try something different to drink. Anything that sits well with your new tummy. You can try artificial sweetened stuff each day to see if it is going to be okay but, have a back-up. I liked weak tea - cold, hot and room temp. Luckily I never really drank it sweetened before surgery either.

Latest posts

Back